Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Sunday 120 years ago today and died on a Sunday at the age of 83.

This athlete competed in one Olympic Games and in two different events at those Games.

Our birthday individual was born and died in the same country and won the Olympic gold medal in the same continent where this person was born.

No hurdles were involved with this champion's Olympic events.

When this person won the Olympic gold medal, the next two finishers (silver & bronze) represented the same country as did our birthday athlete.

Maybe it's not so easy, but go ahead and try to name our birthday person on this third Wednesday of September, as we get ready to change seasons.

Please remember that no research is allowed.

Good luck to you.

Hmm, 37.5 might be a body temperature, but I doubt it because you Americans are stuck with Fahrenheits...

Comment

Clues seem to point to the leader of a sweep by athletes from a European country in 1924 in Paris. Suomi?

Comment

This should probably be a sweep between wether 1924 or 1928 or 1932, by US or European athletes.
        37.5 is certainly not a 4X100m performance.
        Looks more like a javelin or discus throw by women then.
        Last edited by 79; 09-21-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

You're right, Olli, the 37.5 has nothing to do with temperature.

Davidokun, you are on the right "track", however it is not the 1924 Paris Games.

79, I can tell you that your 1924, 1928, or 1932 years are too early and I can also tell you that the events are not any of the field events.

Comment

Those are too early? Then it might even be Ilmari Salminen.

Comment

A piece of cake, actually, after the additional clues.

Comment

But I still don't know what 37.5. refers to.

Comment

The only sweep that I'm thinking happened to be was the men's high-jump with 3 US athletes on the podium.
                  So this isn't the answer.
                  Last edited by 79; 09-21-2022, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 79 View Post
                    The only sweep that I think happened to be was the men's high-jump with 3 US athletes on the podium.
                    So this isn't the answer.
                    Come on, I already gave the answer. There was the Finnish sweep in 10,000m in Berlin with Salminen, Askola, Iso-Hollo.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post

Come on, I already gave the answer. There was the Finnish sweep in 10,000m in Berlin with Salminen, Askola, Iso-Hollo.
                      Too high-level for me.
                      Congrats Olli, ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ†

Comment

Thanks, but I think high jumpers are higher-level than runners, at least for a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                          Thanks, but I think high jumpers are higher-level than runners, at least for a moment.
                          Ahahaha, so true...
                          I'm curious to see DoubleRBar's explanation about this 37.5 number.

"Our birthday individual was born and died in the same country"
                          120 years ago, Finland was part of the Russian Empire. It got its independance in 1917.
                          So, this was not "exactly" the same countryโ€‹... as the Finland where he passed away.
                          (just a way to look for lice in the head ๐Ÿ˜‰)
                          Last edited by 79; 09-21-2022, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Finland was certainly considered a country even when it was in union with the Russian Empire. In Olympics, for example, it always had its own team, even before full independence in 1917.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Finland

Comment

Ilmari Salminen was born in Finland 120 years ago today. Very nice job, Olli.

Salminen won the Olympic 10,000 in Berlin (1936) and also was sixth place in the 5,000 in Germany.

As you know, the 10,000 is 25 laps and the 5,000 is 12.5 laps. Of course the total laps are 37.5.

Salminen died in Finland on the first Sunday of 1986 at the age of 83.

Thank you, Olli and 79.

Comment

Working...
                              X