Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you try to name 3 countries who have never won any olympic T&F medal?...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
    Barbados????
    Must be close. When discussing Bahamas stadium recently, I remember they are at ~400k and I know Barbados is definitely smaller. I don't know exactly how small, maybe 1/2 - 3/4? But how big is Iceland?

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Must be close. When discussing Bahamas stadium recently, I remember they are at ~400k and I know Barbados is definitely smaller. I don't know exactly how small, maybe 1/2 - 3/4? But how big is Iceland?
      I know that Iceland is very sparsely populated but I would guess that it edges Barbados.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
        Iceland (Einarsson) has less population than Luxembourg.
        Iceland has 2 medals - you forgot Vala Flossadottir in 2000 pole vault

Comment

Djibouti has one bronze, from Ahmed Salah in the marathon in 1988. I had to look up the details and spelling.

Comment

Didn't Jasmine Camacho-Quinn just win Puerto Rico's first gold? or medal of any ilk, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
              Didn't Jasmine Camacho-Quinn just win Puerto Rico's first gold? or medal of any ilk, I believe.
              First T&F gold but not first medal as Javier Culson got bronze in the 2012 400H.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
                Djibouti has one bronze, from Ahmed Salah in the marathon in 1988. I had to look up the details and spelling.
                Djibouti has more people than Luxembourg

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
                  But it’s way bigger, about a million.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

First T&F gold but not first medal as Javier Culson got bronze in the 2012 400H.
                    That's right. He was favored and sort of "under-performed", IIRC.

Comment

Off the top of my head, I would say that if the 7 small central American nations, only Panama has won an athletics OG medal.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                        Off the top of my head, I would say that if the 7 small central American nations, only Panama has won an athletics OG medal.
                        But it has won more than one (Lloyd LaBeach & Irving Saladino, off the top of my head).

Comment

Are these the 3 smallest independent countries that have participated in Olympic track and field and not medaled?

Nauru 10k population
                          Tuvalu 12k
                          Cook Islands 17k

There have been 11 babies born in Antarctica, they are between the ages of 13 and 44. Could they form an Olympic Committee ? Would be appropriate for them to enter the winter games with a curling team.

Last edited by DET59; 10-01-2022, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DET59 View Post

There have been 11 babies born in Antarctica, they are between the ages of 13 and 44. Could they form an Olympic Committee ? Would be appropriate for them to enter the winter games with a curling team.

Chances are that none of them currently live in Antarctica as I think scientists tend to do stints down there of a year or so. As I understand it, the IOC are now only accepting new members that are sovereign nations.

Does raise some interesting questions about nationality status arising from being born there though. One of the differences between countries is that some countries automatically confer citizenship on anyone born in the country while others don't. I believe that the US is in the former group and the UK in the latter. Does this apply to Antarctic territorial claims?
                            Last edited by Trickstat; 10-02-2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Chances are that none of them currently live in Antarctica as I think scientists tend to do stints done there of a year or so. As I understand it, the IOC are now only accepting new members that are sovereign nations.

Does raise some interesting questions about nationality status arising from being born there though. One of the differences between countries is that some countries automatically confer citizenship on anyone born in the country while others don't. I believe that the US is in the former group and the UK in the latter. Does this apply to Antarctic territorial claims?
                              As discussed in a previous thread, the births in Antarctica generated nationality for all because the births were part of a plan to strengthen territorial claims. However, for other nations that have not bothered with this sort of pointless junta-driven territorial theatre, it would purely depend on their citizenship legislation rather than the status of their claims to Antarctica.

Based on the last time I had to read up on this for work purposes, I believe that various treaty signatories have a range of positions:- claims (some overlapping), reject some or all claims or reserve the right to make future claims, and there's also territory not subject to any claims. However, all this is basically put aside while the treaty is in force and the parties agreed not to enforce claims and to collaborate so as not to create discord on the continent.

Given that awarding citizenship based on Antarctic births is done internally by the treaty partners, it is not covered in the treaty as far as I know. This leads us back to each countries specific legislation and flexibility to grant citizenship in non-automatic situations. There's 50 or so parties to the treaty currently so there's no chance in hell that I will make a table on this topic!

Earlier post, including links to info on historical Antarctic births: https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...970-antarctica

Comment

Working...
                              X