Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Is Greater In Decatur

Happy birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Saturday 45 years ago today.

This birthday athlete competed in one event at two Olympic Games, but not in the hurdles.

Our birthday individual won medals at the World Championships and the World Indoor Championships.

I can tell you that this champion did not compete in the Olympic Games in North America, Antarctica, Africa, Asia, or South America.

Can you name our birthday athlete on this first day of October in 2022?

Please give it a try and remember that no research is allowed.

Good luck to you.

So they competed in either Sydney or Athens. Not much to go on, not that I would have a prayer of getting this anyway. Continent where born maybe?

Comment

Steele, you are correct about our birthday athlete competing in both Sydney and in Athens. Good job.

Comment

A long-jumper?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Someone from a Carribean island and coaching world-class female triple jumpers nowadays?

Comment

No.

Comment

Dwight Phillips is from Decatur, Ga., I believe

Comment

Happy 45th birthday today to Dwight Phillips. Very well done, gm.

Dwight Phillips was born in Decatur, Georgia on the first Saturday of October in 1977. Dwight made the U.S. Olympic team to Sydney, Australia, in 2000 where he placed eighth in the men's long jump. Four years later, in Athens, Greece, Phillips won the Olympic gold medal in the long jump (8.59 or 28' 2 1/4"). He won four gold medals in the World Championships, one World Championships bronze medal, and one World Indoor long jump gold medal.

Thank you, gm, Steele, and 79.

Comment

He was also a superb sprinter! His 6"47 (60m indoor) were very impressive in 2005. Even today, of course.

Comment

Today also Grete Waitz' 69th birthday, were she still with us. Alas, she's one of the greatest to not be eligible for this contest.

And Julie Andrews is also 87 today. (I didn't believe it either when I first saw it.)

Comment

Grete Waitz ran the hurdles?

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                          Today also Grete Waitz' 69th birthday, were she still with us. Alas, she's one of the greatest to not be eligible for this contest.

And Julie Andrews is also 87 today. (I didn't believe it either when I first saw it.)
                          Former CC runner at Naval Academy is 98 today.. he is he ?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post

Former CC runner at Naval Academy is 98 today.. he is he ?
                            He holds the U.S. record for an American president, living the longest of any U.S. president. He and Dwight Phillips were both born in the same state.

Comment

Jimmy Carter. But I'm still wondering why Grete Waitz is not "eligible for this contest."

Comment

Working...
                              X