Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Oldest still alive T&F olympic champions..." trivia.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oldest still alive T&F olympic champions..." trivia.

Who is the oldest one in the marathon today?
    And who is the oldest still alive other one among the oldest T&F olympic champions (relays included of course) nowadays?
    You can look for the answers on the web, especially about the 2nd question which is not easy at all without help.
    Last edited by 79; 10-03-2022, 07:44 AM.

Frank Shorter and George Rhoden(?)

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
      Frank Shorter and George Rhoden(?)
      You certainly found the two athletes, dj.
      Frank Shorter 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
      George Rhoden will be 96 this next December. I didn't find anyone older than him.
      May be a substitute in a relay (1948/1952)?
      I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this Jamaican legend is our answer.
      Today, he is almost as old as Harrison Dillard when he passed away 3 years ago.
      Last edited by 79; 10-03-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I believe Bob Richards is still alive, and older than Mr. Rhoden. Most successful Olympian ever in the men's PV.

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
          I believe Bob Richards is still alive, and older than Mr. Rhoden. Most successful Olympian ever in the men's PV.
          Merner521, I believe your answer is the right answer (until someone older appears) 😉🏅
          Is there any other older T&F 1948 silver or bronze medalist still alive today?
          Folke Alnevik, from Sweden, bronze medalist in the 4X400m passed away 2 years ago. He was...100!
          Last edited by 79; 10-03-2022, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Posted this before but one of the guys we work with on Olympedia is Paul Tchir (CAN), who has 2 special areas of expertise. 1) he's an Arabic scholar so he helps us with all the Arabic stuff, especially names; and 2) he keeps track of the oldest living Olympians - he has for years. Here is his website which is by far the best site for questions such as these - https://acsweb.ucsd.edu/~ptchir/

Paul also writes a lot of the Canadian biographies for us.

Comment

Thank you bambam1729, that list is super interesting!

Comment

I know Ronnie Delany is still "youthful" after winning the 1956 1500 m event. I had previously noted that all three medal winners in that final were alive which was very unique 65 years after their event but I believe there are only two medalists remaining now. What event now takes the victory stand today as the oldest trio still able to shake hands today?

Comment

Carlos Lopes is older than Shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                    So true TN1965! I've just checked. He's eight months older! 🏆🏆🏆
                    I would have never imagined that would be the case 12 years later in an event like the marathon.

Comment

3 other examples where a particular year's Olympic Champion was born before the winner of the same event 12 years earlier:

2000 400m Champion Michael Johnson is older than 1988 Champ Steve Lewis
                      2012 400H Champion Felix Sanchez is older than 2000 Champ Angelo Taylor
                      1968 W DT Champion Lia Manoliu was older than 1956 champ Olga Fikotova

Comment

I think the case of a "younger gold medalist 16 years earlier" in the same event probably never happened.
                        A "younger 20 years earlier" is almost impossible in the T&F universe.
                        (the words probably and almost, because I have to be prudent with top T&F statisticians like you 😉)
                        Last edited by 79; 10-03-2022, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                          3 other examples where a particular year's Olympic Champion was born before the winner of the same event 12 years earlier:

2000 400m Champion Michael Johnson is older than 1988 Champ Steve Lewis
                          2012 400H Champion Felix Sanchez is older than 2000 Champ Angelo Taylor
                          1968 W DT Champion Lia Manoliu was older than 1956 champ Olga Fikotova
                          Wanjiru (2008 mMar champ) was just over two years younger than Kipchoge. What are the odds that Eliud will enter the Paris '24 marathon?

Comment

The women's HJ OG champ from 1972 and 1984 were born on exactly the same day!

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                              That's an amazing stat.

Comment

Working...
                              X