Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life ban for Vince Matthews and Wayne Collett 1972 Munich

From article posted to front page: Philip Barker: The casual protest which prompted a life ban from the Olympics (insidethegames.biz)

I've read about the casual stance they had on the podium, but had no idea they had received a life ban. I've read multiple books about Smith and Carlos, but had never even heard the whole story on these two. Crazy.

There's effin' stupid and then there's really effin stupid. Incredible.
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 12-03-2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I recall from Matthews' bio that they were rushed to the awards ceremony, without adequate time to get dressed into more formal sweats. That seemed to contribute to their reactions.

Comment

Avery Brundage was a complete nutcase. In the 50s he wanted to ban US athletes who got college scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Avery Brundage was a complete nutcase. In the 50s he wanted to ban US athletes who got college scholarships.
          For real???? WOW!!! I have read about some other not so flattering things about Brundage.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post

For real???? WOW!!! I have read about some other not so flattering things about Brundage.
            For real. A 1950s article in the Chicago Tribune. I think I posted it here once.

Comment

Something of a throwback to the era when someone who taught PE/Gym/Games in a school was considered a pro!

Comment

The world changes. When I was playing amateur golf (hi-level from about 1970-75), the Rules of Golf related to amateur status stated that if you even said you wanted to turn pro (obviously had to be printed or known to the officials), that was it. You were a pro. I think they changed it around 1974, because I know in some interviews around then I discussed my professional plans. And you guys thought T&F was strict about amateur status in the old days.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                  I recall from Matthews' bio that they were rushed to the awards ceremony, without adequate time to get dressed into more formal sweats. That seemed to contribute to their reactions.
                  I have always wanted to read his bio but unable to get a copy. Currently, there is a used copy on Amazon for $175! I think I will wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                    I have always wanted to read his bio but unable to get a copy. Currently, there is a used copy on Amazon for $175! I think I will wait.
                    You may digitally borrow and read it for free, via the Internet Archive:

My Race Be Won
                    Vincent Matthews with Neil Amdur
                    Charterhouse

Comment

IOC rescinds life ban on American sprinters half-century after podium protest

Comment

Am I right in thinking the US 4 x 400 team in 1968 made a small protest by briefly raising their fists but they were not sanctioned (maybe just warned) ? Of course there was no US 4 x 4 team in 1972.

Comment

I can answer my own question...

image.png
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ianb View Post
                            Am I right in thinking the US 4 x 400 team in 1968 made a small protest by briefly raising their fists but they were not sanctioned (maybe just warned) ? Of course there was no US 4 x 4 team in 1972.
                            With Matthews and Collett being banned and John Smith pulling up injured in the 400 final the US only had 3 relay runners left. I think at that time, the squad of 6 had to be declared a few days before the heats.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

With Matthews and Collett being banned and John Smith pulling up injured in the 400 final the US only had 3 relay runners left. I think at that time, the squad of 6 had to be declared a few days before the heats.
                              Off topic for this thread, maybe a split called for, but under modern rules could the US have pulled together a team to threaten for a medal? Thinking Evans, Mann, Black, ??

Comment

Working...
                              X