Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post

Off topic for this thread, maybe a split called for, but under modern rules could the US have pulled together a team to threaten for a medal? Thinking Evans, Mann, Black, ??
    Under modern rules, Maurice Peoples and Tommie Turner would have been part of the relay pool. Peoples obviously would have been a big factor. I don't recall Turner and Fred Newhouse would have been the next choice. Evans, Black, Peoples and Turner/Newhouse is probably a winner without further injuries.

Comment

Official entry was Evans, Turner, Peoples, and Smith. Just needed a replacement for Smith. Newhouse the most likely candidate.

Comment

I remember something from Track and Field news about maybe putting decathlete Jeff Bennett (46.25 in Munich) on to the relay squad. Also in T&FN was a comment from the officials who disallowed adding an athlete late to the relay pool, something along the lines of "Next time, bring runners who are healthy."

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
          Official entry was Evans, Turner, Peoples, and Smith. Just needed a replacement for Smith. Newhouse the most likely candidate.
          Here is the USA entry list for the 4x4 per the 1972 Official Entries:

1972 ATH USA 4x4.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Here is the USA entry list for the 4x4 per the 1972 Official Entries:
            Thanks. My post was based on the report in T&FN:

Thus, the US, which had been expected to run all the medalists from the 400 plus the 400-meter world recordman, had only three runners who were both eligible to run and healthy: Lee Evans, Tommie Turner and Maurice Peoples. And, although a line-up of that trio plus Smith was entered, nobody showed up to run. Symbolically, the pylon for Lane 8 (the US's lane), was tipped over on its side on the grass next to the track.
            Source: Jim Dunaway, "1600-meter Relay: Kenya Clinches Pulsating Triumph", T&FN, Volume 25, Number 14, September 1972, Pages 65-66.
            Last edited by Davidokun; 01-22-2023, 01:10 PM. Reason: Completing the citation.

Comment

If healthy - Evans, Collett, Matthews, J Smith - might be the greatest ever 4-some to run the 4x4. Not sure if they could have gotten the WR which was set at altitude but they had a chance certainly.

Comment

QM world list top five/six 1972:
                44.1 Wayne Collett (44.80)
                44.2 Fred Newhouse
                44.3 John Smith (45.46)
                44.6 Lee Evans
                44.7 Vince Matthews (44.66)
                44.7 Karl Honz (44.70)​

Comment

If healthy - Evans, Collett, Matthews, J Smith - might be the greatest ever 4-some to run the 4x4. Not sure if they could have gotten the WR which was set at altitude but they had a chance certainly.
                  '92?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

'92?
                    Yeah, I thought about 92 with Reynolds and Michael Johnson when I made that post, but I think that potential 72 4x4 team might have been stronger thru all 4 runners

Comment

Yeah, I thought about 92 with Reynolds and Michael Johnson when I made that post, but I think that potential 72 4x4 team might have been stronger thru all 4 runners
                      Wow, no love for Quincy? Actually Butch wasn't on the team that year, but there was an okay guy named Steve Lewis. That makes a pretty good three-deep. Then the next year Reynolds replaces Lewis and they set the still-recognized record. Nothing against Andrew Valmon, but the four-deep in '72 probably gets the nod.

Comment

you're giving far too much credit to (A) effect of the '68ers

Comment

'92 was Valmon, Watts, M. Johnson and Steve Lewis.

Reynolds was '88 for the relay.

Comment

The '93 team had Reynolds, Watts and Johnson who, at that time were 1, 2 and 3 on the world all-time list.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                              The '93 team had Reynolds, Watts and Johnson who, at that time were 1, 2 and 3 on the world all-time list.
                              Yeah. For some reason I was thinking Olympics only.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

you're giving far too much credit to (A) effect of the '68ers
                                Well, nobody broke Lee Evans's 400 record (set at Mexico City) for almost 20 years. It took almost 20 years to tie the 4x400 record set at the same Olympics and almost 24 years to break that relay record. How much do you think the altitude effect is for the 400?

Comment

Working...
                                X