Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waseda

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion (no hurdles) who competed in two consecutive Olympic Games and was born 119 years ago.

Our birthday individual competed in three different events at those two Olympic Games, winning an Olympic gold and a bronze medal.

This champion was born in a city that hosted the Olympic Games when our birthday athlete was about 68 years old.

Not too surprisingly, our birthday individual died at the age of 93.

Any guesses who this person is?

Thanks for not using any research and good luck.

Born 1904 in Munich. The only German champion that comes to mind of approximately that period is Gerhard Stöck, but probably it's not him.

Comment

Your right, Olli. It's not Stock (or any other German).

Comment

Haha, the birthplace *might* also be Sapporo. So one of the Japanese triple jumpers? I have somewhat vague recollections of their names, so perhaps I'll leave this to others.

Comment

I know that Waseda is a Japanese University.

Comment

At last I got one name into my head (if you can use this idiom in English). It's Tajima, but I don't remember his first name, and there were one or two others besides him.

Comment

Yes, our birthday athlete was from Japan. Naoto Tajima won the triple jump in Berlin (1936). Our birthday athlete won the Olympic gold medal before Tajima.

Comment

Nambu?

Comment

Chuhei Nambu was born in Japan 119 years ago today. Very good, noone.

Chuhei Nambu competed in the four by 100 relay, the long jump, and the triple jump at the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics and the 1932 Los Angeles Games.

The Japanese four by 100 relay team did not make the 1928 Olympic final nor did Nambu make the long jump final in the Netherlands. He did place fourth in the triple jump in 1928.

Things were a little different four years later in California. Nambu ran the second leg on the four by 100 relay team that finished in fifth place. He took the Olympic bronze medal in the long jump and he won the triple jump two days after the long jump.

A graduate of Waseda University (gh knew the school), Chuhei Nambu died on the penultimate Wednesday of July in 1997, at the age of 93 (Japan is well-known for longevity).

Thank you, noone, Olli, and gh.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, Nambu was born May 27th.

Comment

Yes, I have seen that date for his birth, however I have also seen May 24 as his birthday. One of the places that says May 24 is Olympedia. Maybe bambam1729 can help us with the correct date of Chuhei Nambu's birthday.

Comment

We've always had 24 May 1904 and have no errata about it, or any research notes in our history (that stuff is only visible to the OlyMADMen - our group). Our source seems to be Wolf Lyberg's books of Olympic participants that he did in the early 1990s, for which he had access to the IOC entry lists for the older Games. For 1928 and 1932 I do not have entry lists myself. I had never heard of 27 May before but I'll check with our guys about this.

By the way, our Japanese sources tell us the better transliteration is Nanbu, which is what we use rather than Nambu.

Comment

Thank you, bambam1729. Nanbu it is.

Comment

My guys tell me that Japanese Wikipedia started with 27 May for Nanbu. Back circa 2010 somebody tried to change it to 24 May, but the change was rejected because they did not list a source. Again, our source is IOC commissioned books by Wolf Lyberg listing all Olympic participants (through 1992), and his source was official entry forms. For now, we've decided not to change what we have.

We never mind if we find out we're wrong and someone points that out. Our philosophy is we don't care who's correct, only what's correct. Walt Murphy can vouch for us as he's been copied on a couple of our threads investigating various DOBs.

Comment

You do good work, bambam1729. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X