X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RussJD
    replied
    Re: Best First Efforts...?

How about Edwin Moses running 50.2 in his first 400H? I actually remember seeing that time in Track Newsletter and thinking "Wow, who is that?"

Leave a comment:

• jhc68

• jhc68
    replied

I disagree on both your points, Steve. Extraordinary debuts seem intrinsically interesting to me... what's not to like about someone coming out of no where to post an impressive performance? As for the usefulness of the posts? Which posts on this message board are the really important ones that serve some urgent public need? We are all just a bunch of track nerds wasting time staring at little computer screens and throwing stats and bs opinions around :-) Really, you can find links out of here to websites with world records for running events by lane number. Interesting, yeah, for doofuses like us... useful or important? If you think so you have been spending way too much time here !

Leave a comment:

• 6 5.5hjsteve

• 6 5.5hjsteve
    replied

"first efforts" just do not fit in our sport, so this thread is not of any real use.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Statistically, best "first efforts" are marathon debuts. But I hope some stat freaks out there can come up with 'best debuts' at other events - might be interesting. (What's more interesting than someone 'coming outta nowhere' with a mega-performance?) (though, sadly, such is met with cynicism these days. If it happens at all..)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hey Joe--who was the runner? I'm curious.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68

• jhc68
    started a topic Best First Efforts...?

Best First Efforts...?

On another thread a media source was cited purporting that a famous actor/singer (Michael Crawford) ran a 4:23 mile after three weeks training in preparation for a film role. I dismiss the claim as patently absurd and impossible.
    But it got me to wondering what IS possible on first efforts and what notable first efforts folks might have seen. For example, years ago when I was coaching cross country, a 10th grader showed up saying he was bored with the marching band and he thought he could run distances because he had his friend time him run a mile. I was sucker enough to ask him all about it and he told me he had run 4:42 all by himself in his first ever mile in tennis shoes on the lumpy old dirt track at our high school. I knew the kid well enough to think he wasn't lying, so I assumed his friend had mistimed or maybe he had only run three laps by mistake. But he eventually made me a believer... by the time he graduated he won the California State Meet 1600m in 4:08 and ran a 14:38 5k on on the track.
    So, anyone else have similar stories about extraordinary first efforts on the track or in the field?
Working...
X