How to determine all time best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to determine all time best?

I was having a discussion with someone about how to determine the best alltime performer in a sport.

Should it be based on # of major titles/championships, best performance, consistency, or something else. I think track lends itself to this kind of discussion.
    Cheers

Re: How to determine all time best?

Whatever criterium you use, the debate could go on for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever, etc.....

Comment

Why would you use a bicycle race to determine the best track athlete?

Comment

i've thought about this quite a bit. There are a lot of different variables, especially when you consider athletes now vs 80 years ago.

I think the best way is to look at consistency over time. Who was ranked #1 or in the top 3 in their event the most times?

I think we can find these answers somewhere on this site.
        H

Comment

I compiled a spreadsheet with the top-10 800-10000 runners since 1968 and with a few equations arrived at a ranking of the best. The equation was based on the number of times ranked in the top-10 minus the average ranking. Thus the best by this definition would be someone who was ranked in the top-10 at different distances, ideally #1.

Using this definition the top 10 (well 11, 10th is a tie) are as follows:

Geb - 20.2
          Aouita - 14.1
          Coe - 14.0
          Morceli - 13.2
          Komen - 9.3
          El G - 9.3
          Ovett - 9.0
          Tergat - 8.3
          Cram - 7.7
          Yifter - 7.0
          Ondieki - 7.0

Geb's being #1 is due to being ranked in the top-10 at 3 different distances for a total of 22 top-10 rankings and an average ranking of 1.8. Aouita is close behind with an average of 1.9 but was only ranked in the top-10 16 times. What is impressive about Aouita is that he was ranked in the top-10 in a 5 distances.

Kevin

Comment

For my project I saw no reason to reinvent the wheel. I took T&FN's world ranking criteria and adapted it to an all-time setting.

http://personal.bgsu.edu/~jsquire/intro.pdf

Comment

Working...
            X