Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fantasy men's 4x100

that is ridiculous, Everyone thought that Michael Johnson could run a great 100m from the blocks but he only ran 10.13. Mitchell would demolish him just like bailey did. Forget about the injury excuse, bailey was beating him before he grab his hamstring. Michael Johnson just had the right ingredience for his 19.32. He never approached the time again.

Comment

Awesome!
      Franken: Thanks for the info

Comment

tm, Dennis Mitchell's fastest 200 was like a 20.09, so Obviously he couldn't run 10.12 out of the blocks on the curve. Jon Drummond ran a 10.2 area and he was the best from the blocks on the curve. MJ of 95 and 96 would eat Dennis alive. yEAH MJ lost to Bailey, but he was still hurt from Atlanta and he had not trained as hard because of the promotion of Toronto and the promotions he earned from Atlanta. The Toronto race was a not marketed or prepared for. The Toronto firm or whoever really didn't do a good job of preparing. The race should have been later and been in Las Vegas. Most professional tracksters don't peak until August so it wasn't planned very well.Another reason Dennis looked so good was that the first 2 legs usually had him a good lead. Dennis is talented,but you can't say in all honesty that he ran the curve better than MJ,especially from a running start. That is a benefit to MJ. MJ had a mediocre start. Dennis was one of the better starters in the world. Look at 96' Dennis led the 1st 30 meters of the 100 final in Atlanta. Then he got his tail dusted by 3 or 4 other guys. I should know I was at the race.

Comment

the perfect quartet would be jon drummond,tim montgomery,michael johnson,maurice greene although for the first leg michael marsh has run 10 flat in the past

Comment

curt, I agree. Would you run Greene 2nd or anchor. I think Greene would be a great 2nd leg. He and Drummond work together everyday at HSI and it is the longest leg. Mo has the better 200 time than Tim and he seems to hold his speed a little longer. Tim scared me everytime he ran anything other than anchor, because he seemed to have trouble passing the baton.

Comment

Sorry Rusty, Curt can't answer you right now. Perhaps when we let him out of the hole.... Meanwhile, hold that thought.

Comment

Dennis is talented,but you can't say in all honesty that he ran the curve better than MJ,especially from a running start. That is a benefit to MJ. MJ had a mediocre start. Dennis was one of the better starters in the world.

In my opinion, Mitchell in his prime would have been a better lead-off runner than Drummond.
                Did anyone see his lead-off leg in the prelims of the 88 Olympics (Where they were disqualified). Mitchell ran past the runner in the immediate outside lane and he was on the verge of picking up the next runner before he handed off to (I believe Albert Robinson).

Comment

JLightnin', What would a team of Dennis Mitchell to Maurice Greene to Michael Johnson to Carl Lewis have been able to do had they all been in their primes at or near the same time period?

Comment

Forget about the injury excuse, bailey was beating him before he grab his hamstring. Michael Johnson just had the right ingredience for his 19.32. He never approached the time again.

Johnson had never fully recovered from the strained hamstring acquiredd from his WR 200 and the showdown race with Bailey made it all the worse. Of course h hasn't approached his WR 19.32. However, he has a tie for the 2nd fastest time in history 19.66 which was the world record until he ran 19.32. What's Bailey best 200 time?

Comment

JLightnin', I also think MJ thought he could come in off of 400 strength work and still beat Bailey. We all know he was injured, but I think we all forget that Bailey had just won the 100 in world record time and he felt snubbed,because MJ was receiving all the fanfare and even most of the athletes believed MJ would dust Donovan.That had to be a big motivational factor for Donovan. Plus like I said earlier most pro track athletes peak arond late July and early August. This meet was at the very beginning of June.Plus the design of the track was supposedly like lanes 7&8 so the turn was more gradual, a clear advantage to Bailey.The configuration of the track was listed somewhere on this board awhile back. Make no mistake Donovan won, but it would have been interesting to see it when both athletes had peaked and both were healthy. I say MJ would win but it would be alittle closer than people predicted the first race would be.Most people predicted MJ by a couple of steps.

Comment

On that track , I will admit your'e correct. It would have been interesting.
                        Going back through the years, that whole scenario, before they raced played out accurately in regards to how the media U.S. track fans and Non- track fans would react. Bailey is out-spoken and confident in his abilities the same as a certain boxer named Ali (who was more outspoken than Bailey) was in 64' before he met Liston and even in beating Liston, he was still considered an underdog and obviously Mr. Ali didnt like that facct too much. Unfortunate for Bailey is that the peak of a world-class sprinters career isnt as long as a boxer, so he'll always be considered a great 100 meter man but the fastest of his time which will go to MJ pasing the torch onto Mo Green. The more I think about it, that's not really fair (I know Im' digressing). Maybe it comes down to top-end speed for both of them. Bailey and MJ both obviously were two of the fastest of all time when it came down to full acceleration, however. MJ may have had an edge when it came down to maintaining his top-end speed.
                        Thanks for responding.

Comment

JLightnin' anytime brotha! I coach middle school and am a sprint and relay coach at the high school in my district. I love to talk this sport. I hope to see it grow at the grass roots level. It is fun talking to other folks who love this sport and clearly have a good knowledge of this sport as you seem to.

Comment

Im with ya' there!

Comment

JLightnin', What or how do we get track back on TV? I personally think they to televise the 5 relay meets in April and early May.We Americans seem to really like relays and it would be good practice for our sprinters to work together. We could also invite other countries such as Jamaica to all the meets and not just Penn Relays. We could also offer extra money for WR'S or national records for other countries. Think about a 4x800 by the Kenyans or South Africans. The 4xmile by the Kenyans. MAN i'd be hyped up over alot of relays. I'd love to see Texas, Mt.Sac,Drake(if they would move it back a week),Penn, and Modesto televised ina 5-week package for let's say ESPN OR ESPN-2.

Comment

There are so many legends to consider for a fantasy 4x100, but I can't think of any combination of 100m greats that would not have CARL LEWIS on anchor. He was magical with a baton is his hand !

Comment

Working...
                                X