Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WR Split times

I'm hoping there is someone out there who can point me to info about the quarter-mile splits in some of the older mile World Records, particularly, Gunder Hagg's 4:01.4 (4:01.3), Landy's 3:58.0 (3:57.9), and Elliott's 3:54.5. I've seen some data but doubt it's accuracy.
    Suggestions?

Re: WR Split times

I'm hoping there is someone out there who can point me to info about the quarter-mile splits in some of the older mile World Records, particularly, Gunder Hagg's 4:01.4 (4:01.3), Landy's 3:58.0 (3:57.9), and Elliott's 3:54.5. I've seen some data but doubt it's accuracy.
    Suggestions? <<

The T&FN book The Supermilers (If I recall the title correctly) had splits for most if not all WRs and big races up to the early 80s (It may have been revised since)...

Comment

"I'm hoping there is someone out there who can point me to info about the quarter-mile splits in some of the older mile World Records, particularly, Gunder Hagg's 4:01.4 (4:01.3), Landy's 3:58.0 (3:57.9), and Elliott's 3:54.5. I've seen some data but doubt it's accuracy."

A book that EVERY, and I repeat EVERY track fan should have is the "IAAF Progression of World Best Performances and Official World Records." I cannot understand why T&FN has not (ever??) offered it; it is, however, available through the IAAF website. This books provides reams of information, such as:

Splits on Haegg's 4:01.4: 56.6, 61.9, 61.2, 61.6
      Landy's 3:57.9: 58.5, 60.2, 58.5, 60.7
      Elliott's 3:54.5: 56.4(!), 61.8, 61.0, 55.3(!).

Comment

Ah...GREAT, thanks. These jibe with most of what I've read however the Elliott splits I've seen range from the one's you've listed to a more even-paced 58.3, 59.8, 61.0, 55.4.
        I can't seem to find a reference to the book you mention on the IAAF website. Can you provide a specific link?

Comment

>I can't seem to find a reference to the book you mention on the IAAF website. Can you provide a specific link?<

The reason you can't find it is it isn't there. I'm pretty sure it used to be on their publications order form, which is a sub-menu under Downloads. But the order form that is now on the web dates back to April, and it does the WR Progressions book, a new edition of which was published this past summer. I expect that when they update the form online, it will include this volume. No idea when that will be.

Comment

Yeah, found the Publications download and, indeed it's not there. Guess I'll just have to be patient.
            Thanks for the update...

Comment

It may not be in the order form, but if you drop them an e-mail (the address is [email protected])saying what it is you want, they will send it to you. It worked for me.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
              X