Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chi Cheng

Originally posted by The King
    Chi Cheng of Taiwan was the first Woman to run 100 yards in 10 seconds flat(the first Woman to run the 100yd dash in an 'even time') She accomplished this on June 13, 1970, in Portland, Oregon.

She was also named 1969 and 1970 World Female Athlete(Track) by Women's Track and Field World. Chi Cheng has been instrumental in arranging for the 2008 Olympic Games to be held in China.

She is very often referred to as the greatest Asian track and field athlete of the 20th Century.

She won the Bronze medal in the Women's 80mh at the Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games.

I'll find out what her PRs for the respective distances which she competed in.
    Ah, it's a great thing is Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by bf
      DOES anyone know if her 10.10y was FAT? (1970 AAU, Portland). If so, it certainly was ahead of its time, wr-wise. I'd guess it wasn't, as she had no 100m times of that quality. (But did have a low-altitude WR 11.22 , the following month)
      No, it was 10.0 hand time, where does this 10.10 FAT rumor comes from............

Comment

chi cheng

i'm interested in articles and anecdotes related to chi cheng.

Comment

An image of here from Mt.Sac website:

And more recently

Comment

I had the privilege of getting to know Chi Cheng when I was in high school. Vince Reel coached me when I was a junior in high school and he was at the Claremont Colleges. Back then (1972-73), you have to remember things were a bit different and amateurs were really amateurs. Chi was sponsored by Adidas and they took me to the Adidas warehouse once when she had to pick up some gear. It was amazing! When we got back to their house, she showed me all of her shoes, most of which were custom made. She gave me an Adidas blanket from the Munich Olympics and a pair of spikes that I thought were gorgeous, and of course no other high school girl had a pair anything like them. They were white mesh with black stripes. At the time, I had a problem with over striding, especially when I got tired. When she finished her workout, she would stand in the middle of the field and clap in tempo as I ran. That was my reminder to shorten up my stride. They would often have me over for dinner. Vince Reel had an amazing singing voice. We were once watching a Frank Sinatra special and he chimed in on My Way - very impressive! Anyway, you asked for anecdotes, and I know I have more, but she was an amazing athlete and an amazing woman. I lost touch with her years ago, but last I knew she was a senator in Taiwan and working with athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
              What a life! Coaching a superstar female sprinter; then marrying her.
              Some guys have all the luck.
              Like everyone else in American, they ended up divorced, although as I recall remained good friends.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Originally posted by Anonymous
                What a life! Coaching a superstar female sprinter; then marrying her.
                Some guys have all the luck.
                Like everyone else in American, they ended up divorced, although as I recall remained good friends.
                So true and good friends is such a bonus.
                Thats not funny!

Comment

Ms. Chi today

Ms. Chi today no longer works with the CTTFA, but is still involved with the IAAF, the Chinese Taipei Road Running Assoc. and, I think, triathlon. She has an office at a stadium in northern Taipei.

I saw what was probably her last race: a 4x100 leg for Chinese Taipei at the Asian Veterans Championships in Jakarta in 1986 (??).

Quick Silver
                  Hong Kong

Comment

I have no personal observations other than that she was one of those that helped pull me into track and field as a sport..

Also, thanks Ruth for posting. Your 1500 at the Trials is still the most thrilling race I have ever watched, and I happened to be sitting with Pete Heaton right behind Vince (Boyle?), that was better than watching Joannie run away with the marathon.

Comment

A few thoughts on a most wonderful and fascinating "Memory Lane" thread......Chi's 10 flat 100 yards was run, I believe, on a cinder track in Portland? Pretty sure of that but someone may correct me. I've always considered that time to EASILY be the first sub-11 100 meters, if you will allow me to call it so easily the equivalent of such a performance. It equates to a 10.9 hand time since 100 meters is 110 yards and ten yards is approximately 9 meters + 9 inches. { How's that for an ambidigitrous head trip? That's what happens when you're a 10 yr old stat freak going to meets where we're getting used to metric.}

So go figure......I ain't adding a full second to that ten flat to go another 9 meters and 9 inches. Easily a 10.9, and on cinders!!

I think Pierre-Jean [btw congrats on your new speed man PJ, AI was telling me about it, quite awesome!].......was crediting Chi with a 22.4y? Not if my memory serves me.....she went 22.7y, and then 22.4 for 200 in Europe

Chi was also a bronze medallist in Mexico City in the 80m hurdles, and ran 7th? in the 100 final. The biggest show missing in Munich was Chi vs Stecher and Boyle in that unbelievable 200 final, where the Ossie [22.40] barely survived the most thrilling sprint challenge I can remember from the Aussie [22.45], both clearly going faster than Chi's 22.4 hand record, and only Stecher getting credit for tieing the mark [sp?] 0.01 faster and Boyle would've gone into the books too.

On the more sordid side, Chi was outraged at Charlie Francis' implication of her in his infamous graphical presentation at the Dubin Enquiry, which he used to provide a baseline from which to extrapolate an "unavoidable conclusion" [paraphrasing] that the curve meant peds. I remember her acrid denunciation of the insult.....

Chi had serious surgery involving the removal of somewhere in the neighbourhood of 27 inches of muscles from one leg [recalling Sports Illustrated article of around 1971 or so].....which is why she was not in Munich. She was cutely superstitious and though there were demons in her closet.....maybe someone has that article?

Thanks to the thread starter and again what a great woman to celebrate!
                      Take good care of yourself.

Comment

was it the dubin or dublin inquiry? i would be interested in finding the charlie francis citation.

Comment

Originally posted by sashmob
                          was it the dubin or dublin inquiry? i would be interested in finding the charlie francis citation.
                          Well if you'll allow me to be a jackass and remind you that you had a 50-50 chance of being right first guess out on Google, ....it;s Dubin, as in Chief Justice Charles,

http://archives.cbc.ca/400d.asp?id=1-41-1409-8964&wm6=1
                          Take good care of yourself.

Comment

During Ostrava meet this year, the 10.10 FAT time was mentionned as the WB.
                            The venue and date was not specified, can anybody provide any information on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre-Jean
                              During Ostrava meet this year, the 10.10 FAT time was mentionned as the WB.
                              The venue and date was not specified, can anybody provide any information on this?
                              In Hymans' world record book, the automatic time is given as 10.10 - not listed as FAT, but likely was. It was almost certainly a world best automatic time as the previous world record (hand) was 10.3, and there were very few auto times for women prior to 1970, especially at an Imperial distance. In his book I see no other automatic times in the 100 yard progression for women.

Comment

A big meet should put a camera at the 100y mark and 'get' a WR. A sub-11 should do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X