Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Greatest Moments in T & F History

Many of you will probably have to cite 10 events because the sport has such a storied history, and because the term "greatest" gives no specific criteria (i.e. situation,stage, emotion, WR,surprise, drama,last jump,comeback,upset).

I'll give it a whirl to get things going, but I'm sure I'll forget some obvious landmark moments. Things that ocurred before "your time" count:

In no particular order:

Bob Beamon's 29'2"1/2 inch long jump at altitude.

Michael Johnson's 19.32 on the Atlanta track.

Roger Bannister breaks the 4:00 mile barrier.

Jesse Owens' multiple record-setting day as a Buckeye.

Abebe Bikila entering the Tokyo Olympic Stadium unshod and triumphant.
  • gh
    Administrator
    • Oct 2005
    • west of Westeros

Re: 5 Greatest Moments in T & F History

Bikila was barefoot in Rome in '60; he wore shoes in Tokyo in '64.

Comment

Bijan C. Bayne said "the term 'greatest' gives no specific criteria (i.e. situation,stage, emotion, WR, surprise, drama, last jump,comeback, upset)."
      -------
      Yes, and for that reason (among others) different fans will apply different criteria to arrive at individual notions of the greatest moments in T&F history. Label none of them wrong.

I have been there for many memorable competitions and, as Bayne suggested, might have to identify 10 in an effort to nominate five greatest.

So here I will list just one: the first-ever match of legendary four-minute milers, Bannister vs. Landy in August 1954 at Vancouver, B.C. I sat next to Landy's father and such proximity assured that I would cheer for his son to win.
      Alas, it was not to be; but a half century later the race remains for me a stong memory.

It all came back at the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, B.C. which I attended and again saw both of those legendary runners, this time as old foes reunited in friendship -- as spectators.

Comment

• tafnut
        • Oct 2005
        • Lost at C (-minus)

I would think 'greatest' implies to the most people. In that case Bannister is #1. Few outside the sport can name Beamon or remember the specifics of MJ (or CL). Everyone knows what Bannister did and what the significance is.

Comment

• Powell
          • Oct 2005
          • right here

I presume when you say 'everyone' you actually only mean US Americans. The 90% of the world's population that never used the Imperial system, doesn't really know or care.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• ndamix
            • Oct 2005
            • Where I Have My Eye On You

I'd have to say the greatest moments for me were:

MJ's 19.32 @ the Atlanta Olympics

Butch Reynolds' 43.29 @ Zurich in 1988

Willie Banks' then-WR of 58'11 1/2 TJ @ the 1985 TAC Championships.

Flojo's WR of 10.49 @ the '88 OT.

Alberto Juantorena's 400/800 double @ Montreal (hasn't been duplicated yet).

Comment

• Pego
              • Oct 2005
              • beyond help

I'll try mine just off the top of my head.There are, of course, so many other memorable ones.

1. Zátopek in Helsinki
              2. Kim Batten-Tonja Buford '95
              3. Powell-Lewis '91
              4. Michael Johnson's 19.32
              5. Flo-Jo's 10.49
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

• LongTimeSubscriber
                • Oct 2005

Mills Toyko 10K. I remember going up to the second floor tv room in my college dorm to watch this one. I was the only one there.

Comment

5 Greatest Moments in T & F History

I expected to see (and yet might)some Rafer Johnson-C.K. Yang references,a dream mile or two,Oerter's fourth gold,or a Brumel-Thomas match.

Jim McKay used to get pretty stoked about a middle distance runner named Dave Wottle.

Bijan

Comment

Mills race was the first Olympic final I ever saw live. I had several friends in that race but what I recall the most is that Bill Easton stood right in front of me for a good portion of that race. And for Schul and Dellinger's race I sat beside Bob Schul's mother and father. It sure was a miserably wet and cold day.

Comment

For excitement, import (both in track & society), and quality of compeition.

#1 - Roger Bannister's 3:59.7 (1954) - Still resonates around the sport's world

#2 - 1991 World Championship Long Jump (1991) - I remember watching this on tape delay, and a friend on mine had told me not to miss it. I though Carl set the WR. End of Carl's streak (10 years), a great competition among the two, and the breaking of a 23 year old WR.

#3 - 1996 Olympic 200 Meters, Men - This is for sheer WOW factor. Johnson decimated the strongest field ever assembled in a huge WR time.

#4 - 1983 World Championship 1500 Meters, Women - Mary Decker-Slaney matched up with the Soviets at the height of the sports Cold War. In between boycotts, Slaney stamped herself as a premiere figure in the sport and it was a hair-raising race to boot. One of the best middle distance races ever run.

#5 - 2000 Olympics, 400 Meters, Women - I cannot remember a bigger track event for the host country in the Olympics. (although wait until next year's 200m). Freeman delivered, breaking down societal barriers and carrying the weight of a nation on her back.

Honorable Mention:
                      - 1985 World Cup, 4x400 Meters, Men - Michael Franks overcame both Tomas Schoenbele and Innocent Egbunike to win the relay after a dropped baton & capture the team title for the USA.

- 1983 World Championships, Javelin Throw, Women - Tina Lillak delivers on the final throw of the competition to give the host Finns their only gold medal, in the event that is practically their national religion.

- 1995 Nice Track Meet, 1500 Meters, Men - Said Aouita unleashes a devastating kick to nearly catch Steve Cram down the stretch as both men break the 3:30 barrier for the first time in history.

- 1996 Olympics, 100 Meters, Men - Donovan Bailey sets a world record against a great field.

- 1936 Olympics, 1500 Meters, Men - Glenn Cunnigham pushes Jack Lovelock of New Zealand to the world record.

- 1993 World Championships, Heptathlon - JJK musters up the guts to beat Sabine Braun in the 800 Meters to capture another world title.

- 1996 Olympics, Long Jump, Men - Carl Lewis, after nearly not qualifying, wins his 4th consecutive gold medal in the event and 9th overall.

Comment

• tandfman
                        • Oct 2005

>#1 - Roger Bannister's 3:59.7 (1954) - Still resonates around the sport's world<

Obviously doesn't resonate enough. His time was 3:59.4.

Comment

>>#1 - Roger Bannister's 3:59.7 (1954) - Still
                          >resonates around the sport's world<

Obviously
                          >doesn't resonate enough. His time was 3:59.4.

I guess I'm getting too old to remember this stuff off the top of my head.

Comment

• john1022
                            • Oct 2005

1924 .. Paavo Nurmi 1500-5km double

1952 .. Zatopek

Personal faves .. Bikila in 1964, Mamo in 1968, Shorter in 1972, Benoit in 1984 .. my friends Shul and Mills in 1964, as well as Jim Beatty's mile indoors in 1962 and Ryun beating Snell in the Coliseum in 1965

Comment

• kuha
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3rd row, on the finish line

What "Coliseum"? The San Diego Coliseum?

Comment

Working...
                              X