X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doug burke
    replied
    Re: Distance running thrills.

in 1993 the then unknown chinese women, shattered the distance records and then bettered the records in the finals, a few weekks after they ran a marathon, running negative splits likke wang junxia running the second 5k in 14.26 during her 2931 10k record, i know of the drug allegations, but countries like the gdr,ussr and usa have had athletes found to have used drugs and they never shattered the world records in depth like china did, beiging in 2008 may be very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrone
    replied

I live in South Africa and the performances by Mills, Ryun and Benoit are legendary here. The best? I would have to say Benoit. Winning the US trials after the knee surgery and then defeating the likes of Rosa Mota and Grete Waitz with a virtual gun to tape victory... spectacular!

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

P.S.= That 27:47 or so you ran might have been an all-time 10,000m. debut best at the time. If not, pretty damn close! Some nice footin'...!

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

I wrote "ungracious" as in, so seen by the public/press/Salazar at the time. I wasn't at the CC race to form my own opinion.

Actually, Sir BTBAB, it is even WORSE than you imagine: someone on the West coast has been spreading stories of you buying toys for orphans at Christmas time and helping little old ladies across the street!

Things like that will get you kicked off the Moosehead team...! [Unless the old lady was buying, of course!]

Leave a comment:

• Born to be a Bum
    replied

"ungracious", damn and blast, I was aiming for "totally evil bastard", "Antichrist", "son of Satan" ...... etc etc but after 22 years I'll have to settle for just a minor insult. I must try harder in a future life

I was told of a classic 5000m at Mt Sac Relays 1982 with Nyambui (Olympic silver, multiple NCAA etc) Peter Koech (WR steeplechase) and the above named ungracious person which went right down to the wire. I missed it, too busy

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>For all of us distance runners, and U.S.distance running fans,what do you
    >think are the biggest thrills in U.S.distance running performance?

Two events, both held at Hayward Field:

1. Pre vs. George Young in the 72 Trials 5,000,.
    Youth vs. veteran, front-runner vs. great kick, home-town boy vs. All-American hero, ec.

2. Salazar vs. Rono in the Invitational 10,000m. in 1982.
    Fit and improving Salazar vs. overweight but still the best Rono, best American vs. best Kenyan, U of O alum vs. WSU alum, plus an added cast of Nyambui (1980 5,000m. silver medalist), Musyoki (current dominanant roadie), and Adrian Royle (ungracious conquorer of salazar at TAC CC race the previous November).

Distance thrills tend to stay in my mind longer than other events because of the prolonged excitement the sheer length of time provided by the competition.

Leave a comment:

• john1022
    replied

1964 US-Russian Meet, 10k, Gerry Lindgren .. I couldn't talk for 2 days after...

Seeing good friends Bob Shul and Billy Mills win at Tokyo in 1964 was great, but it was on TV... not live..

So many other things... Tom Rodda's victory over Mike Fleming in the 1960 Inter-Service Championships 1500 in (as I recall) 3:45.2 was a great thrill for a HS junior.. Mike was a good friend, and Tom bacame one later ..

Pete McArdle's great win in the 1964 Olympic Marathon trial in Culver City .. and Norm Higgins' domination in 1965

Jim Beatty beating Murray Halberg in the Coliseum in 1963... and losing to Snell at Comptom ..

Ryun beating Snell in the Coliseum ..

Clarke setting World records for 3m and 5k there..

All long ago, i know... but, lord, the memories ...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Wottles final kick in the 72 Olympic 800 final stands out most to me (after all he's from Ohio "Canton Lincoln H.S. Bowling Green University). Billy Mills 64 10,000 was incredible an Slaneys 3000 in 83 was surreal.

I have to list this race one particular race as an honorable mention.
    In 1975 in a meet held in Berea, Ohio just south of Cleveland. I witnessed Miruts Yifter turn in a 53 second final 400 in the 5,000 meters. I know he had done much the same throughout his career, but t o watchthe race person was amazing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

<<Gerry Lindgren beating the Russians in '63 was great even if the time was unimpressive>>

It was 1964, and I don't think the time was unimpressive. It was 92 degrees on a dirt track and Lindgren was only a high schooler.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Absolutely! JBS's run away win in the 1984 Oly Marathon (against a top notch field) was one of the greatest US distance running moments of all times.

MDS's 1983 WC double is also among the tops.
    Along with for Shorter's marathon prowess in 1972 and 1976, these have to be high points of US distance running over the past 3 decades.

There were other great races and records but these three were really the clutch performances over the last 30 years on the biggest of stages.

M Plaatjes (Sp) WC marthon win was big in 1993 but the Marathon field at the WC has never been as strong as at the Olympics and MP never backed it up with many other top marathon wins.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Same to
    >you, MJD.
    Geez!

I was simply responding to the "why only men" comment and the fact that it has popped up in a couple of other places. As I say, there is only one way to fix it, if indeed it needs fixing which you don't think it does. That's all. I actually have no opinion on it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Why no mention of Lynn Jennings and her bronze
    >medal, AR in the tough conditions in Barcelona
    >and her three world cross gold medals? Or Joanie
    >and her gold? Why only men?

In order:
    (Lynn Cannon)
    >Joan Benoit Samuelson running away with the >first ever women's OG marathon (2:24:52) in 1984.

(James Fields)
    >Madeline Manning in 1968,

(Bob Duncan)
    >Mary Slaney winning the 1500m and the 3000m in >the 1983 World Championships.

(bf)
    >The Coliseum had so many great distance races - >but that, and Slaney's disaster, were surely the >biggest crowd-displeasers('negative thrill',if >you will..)

(the kid)
    >The last I can think of off-hand is Suzy Favor >H. winning a 1500 or mile a season or two ago on >the European circuit;

(RMc)
    >The Slaney-Wysocki 1500 at the 1984 LA Olympic >Trials.

Illiterate, lazy, or PC? READ before you post such junk.
    Same to you, MJD.
    Geez!

Leave a comment:

• RMc
    replied

>
    >Why only men?

I think I mentioned the Slaney-Wysocki 1984 1500, but of course I completely blew it and forgot to mention the 1983 Helsinki races.

However, for whatever reason, there are many fewer "close" exciting women's races than men's races, at least until recently. Very often one dominant woman runner would run away from the rest of the field and the race wouldn't be particularly exciting. It seems that men race closer and there are more in contention late in the race.

However, this year's NCAAs seemed to reflect a change in that trend. The women's distance races seemed just as competitive, with just as deep of fields as the men. It's the first time I've ever seen this happen.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>Why only men?

I've seen this complaint in a couple of spots on these boards of late. There is one very good way to fix that and educate us and that is to post away.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>Why no mention of Lynn Jennings and her bronze
    >medal, AR in the tough conditions in Barcelona
    >and her three world cross gold medals? Or Joanie
    >and her gold? Why only men?

Good point. Actually Joanie winning the trials in 84 shortly after her knee surgery was more exciting-at least to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X