Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flo-Jo 1988 Seoul 4x4

Does anyone recall this race its looks like it went down to the wire.

Was Flo Jo trailing the olympic champ Olga Bryzgina????

I wish I was old enough to even watch it...

Re: Flo-Jo 1988 Seoul 4x4

Bryzgina took the baton about three strides up on Flojo. Flojo shadowed her for much of the race and we all kept wondering, "when will she make her move?" She pulled within a couple of strides on the final curve, but the Soviet pulled away from her in the stretch. Little wonder, since she ran 47.9. Not sure anybody else ever ran a 48.1 (as Flojo did) and lost ground!

Comment

Flo-Jo trailed the whole way. In fact, the gap between her and the lead runner stayed almost exactly the same throughout the race.

Comment

going strictly from vague memory, I think she was about 11 yards back, blasted after her, got within about 4 yards midway through the last turn, then sort of held that difference, losing a little to the tape. Ran about 48.7 . Lead gal ran about 49.0. I'm sure someone else will be more definitive.

Comment

well so much for my faulty memory; I defer to the experts !

Comment

FloJo was about 3 meters back when she got the baton, got within' a step, but couldnt overtake Bryzgina. By the end, I think FloJo was just hangin' on enough to maintain her stride. Regardless, one of the most exciting relay races ever! I say kudos to all involved, especially Valerie Hooks 3rd leg.

Comment

>going strictly from vague memory, I think she was
              >about 11 yards back, blasted after her, got
              >within about 4 yards midway through the last
              >turn, then sort of held that difference, losing a
              >little to the tape. Ran about 48.7 . Lead gal ran
              >about 49.0. I'm sure someone else will be more
              >definitive.

I guess I have to pull out the video and watch this again.

Comment

I would love to see this race on tape!

Comment

Number 65—Olympic Women's 4 x 400, Seoul 1988

Figured to be a three-way match-up between the Soviets, East Germans and Americans, the Seoul relay turned out better than anyone had expected (except the East Germans). The U.S., keyed by Denean Howard's 49.7, got off to the early lead over the Soviets (50.1). On the second leg, Diane Dixon produced a sparkling 49.2, but was left in the wake of Olga Nazarova's 47.9.

Valerie Brisco brought the U.S. back into contention with her 48.5, as the Soviets managed only a 49.3, while the East Germans faded. The Soviets had a two-meter lead at the final hand-off, which set up a titanic confrontation between 400 winner Olga Bryzgina and triple gold medallist Florence Griffith Joyner.

Certainly, most Americans in the crowd expected Flojo to perform another miracle, even if she had just finished the 4 x 100 a half hour earlier. She got close, pulling to within a couple feet of the Russian. But Bryzgina had the best finish, and managed a 47.9 to hit the line in a world record 3:15.18. Flojo clocked 48.1, and brought the U.S. under the old best as well with a 3:15.51.

Comment

dynamite narrative, Wayne, thanks ! And I'll pull out my old 1988 OG VCR tapes from network TV to watch it tonight.

Comment

Just as an indiication as how EVERYBODY was playing with a different deck in those days than we are now, I believe there were only two sub-50 splits in Paris last month.

TFN Olympic issue result show that in Seoul the Commies ran 50.1, 47.9, 49.3, 47.9. U.S. ran 49.7, 49.2, 48.5, 48.1. DDR ran 50.7, 49.6, 49.1, 48.9

Comment

>The U.S., keyed by Denean Howard's 49.7, got off >to the early lead over the Soviets (50.1).
                        >Valerie Brisco brought the U.S. back into
                        >contention with her 48.5, as the Soviets managed
                        >only a 49.3, while the East Germans faded.

What people don't realize is that even 'the Soviets' and 'the East Germans' were human beings and had names. The Soviet athletes concerned were Tatyana Ledovskaya (gold medallist in 400 hurdles) and Mariya Pinigina (WCh bronze medallist in 1983, PB 49.19).
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

More accurate split times can be found in ATHLETICS 2003
                          3:15.17 Ledovskaya 50.12 Nazarova 47.82 Pinigina 49.43 Bryzgina 47.80
                          3:15.51 Howard 49.82 Dixon 49.17 Brisco 48.44 Griffith-Joyner 48.08
                          3:18.29 Neubauer 50.58 Emmelmann 49.89 Busch 48.81 Müller 48.99.

Still #1, 2 and 7th all-time performances, and for me the most thrilling 4x4 relay ever.

The split times i have for those 2 fabulous anchor legs are:
                          Bryzgina 11.4 (11.3) 22.7 (11.9) 34.6 (13.2) 47.8
                          Griffith 11.6 (11.4) 23.0 (11.9) 34.9 (13.2) 48.1

Bryzgina took the baton after 2:27.37 and Griffith just a little after (2:27.43).
                          Griffith took the option to follow Bryzgina's pace, while Bryzgina choosed to attack in Griffith's speed reserve and lack of endurance after her crazy week (4 100m, 4 200m and 2 100m relay!). Griffith's start was too cautious and let Bryzgina fly away, but the gap was already 2.5 - 3 meters, and Griffith was never able to reduce it. If Griffith took the lead formt he start, the final result might have been different. If, if, if...

Comment

What people don't realize is that even 'the Soviets' and 'the East Germans' were human beings and had names. The Soviet athletes concerned were Tatyana Ledovskaya (gold medallist in 400 hurdles) and Mariya Pinigina (WCh bronze medallist in 1983, PB 49.19).

Are their any pubications strictly about Soviet and East German sprinters. After watching the 4x100 team of (I believe it was Dreshler, Woekel', Koch and Gohr in the mid-80's one Sunday afternoon, I became intrigued. As far as the male runners from the Soviet they have had a history of great sprint relays. Even after Borzov retired from running, they have consistently been near the top in world championship and Olympic competition, however, I curious to know why the Male East German runners havent had as much success as their female counterparts. (Save Armin Hary in the 60 Olympics). In the 88 Olympics, after the U.S. 4 x 100 team was disqualified, it was nice to see the Soviet team get back on the map and win the gold. Naturally I like when the U.S. athletes win, but that doesnt mean other country's should roll over and concede any title.

Comment

>I am curious to know why the
                              >Male East German runners havent had as much
                              >success as their female counterparts.

It's because with "assistance" it's easier for the women to improve than it is for the men, as women don't have as much naturally ocurring testosterone in their body.

Manfred Hoppner, Sports Medical Service Deputy Director of the GDR, once said:

"Performances could be improved with the support of these drugs within four years as follows: Shot putt (men) 2.5-4 metres; Shot putt (women) 4.5-5m; Discus throw (men) 10-12m; Discus throw (women) 11-20m; Javelin throw (women) 8-15m, 400m (women) 4-5sec; 800m (women) 5-10sec, 1500m (women) 7-10 sec"

Although he hasn't given figures for the men's sprints, it's obvious that women benefitted more from the drugs given in the GDR than the men did.

Comment

Working...
                              X