Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michel Carter

Will his 81 foot shotput record in High School ever be broken ? It is the (Bob Beamon) of High School records . How many feet did he smash the record ?

Re: Michel Carter

No, it's nothing like the Bob Beamon of HS Records. Beamon's mark was aided by wind and altitude. Carter's mark is the real deal, top to bottom. A mind-numbing performance if ever there was one.

Comment

I see T&FN doesn't like the fastest woman ever...
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I would have chosen to call it a Michael Johnson type of performance but instead you decided to throw a little ... in there and I had to delete two accusations so I pulled your starting point.

Comment

How about the Randy Barnes of HS records, then ? (to compare like with like)
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

It CAN be broken, but I don't think it WILL be broken. These days, someone who throws 71-72 feet is considered outstanding. Let alone 81-3.5

To answer your other question. I believe the record was bested by about 8 feet.

Comment

Just so ya know - his name was Michael.

Comment

<It CAN be broken, but I don't think it WILL be broken. These days, someone who throws 71-72 feet is considered outstanding. Let alone 81-3.5
                To answer your other question. I believe the record was bested by about 8 feet.>

Carter broke the old record by Sam Walker who hit 72'-3-1/4" in 1968, an improvement of 9 feet.

Dallas Long broke the old mark by over 5 feet in 1958. I thought that was a big wow.

Comment

Re: Michael Carter

>Just so ya know - his name was Michael.<

Here's a hint, tafnut. If you change the subject line, as I did, all subsequent posts will get it right (at least if they reply to one that has it right).

Comment

Re: tafnut

good point! :-)

Comment

Man, I couldn't even throw the girls shot 80 feet, when I was in HS.

Comment

Actually, Carter broke Walker's record several times during the '79 season......he had thrown 77-0 at his state meet a few weeks before the Golden West meet, so he actually broke the HSR (his own) by 4+ feet......

Comment

What's amazing is that he wasn't a very big kid. I mean, he was big (6-2/250), but not immense. He was quicker than all get out in that circle though.

Comment

Carter's best throws after his 81'3 1/2" were: 77' (Abilene Christian Invitational, 5/5/79), 76'9 1/2" (Atlanta Classic, 6/2/79), 76'4" (also at the GWI, 6/16/79), 75'11 3/4", 75'10", 75'9 1/4" (all 3 at the Atlanta Classic), 75'9" (State, 5/12), 75'5 3/4" (his fifth-best throw at Atlanta) and 75'5 1/4" (twice at State). He had three other 75' throws, and improved the NR seven times.

Comment

Working...
                            X