Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: michael johnson 200m wr

"Actually, they spend 116m on the curve, and only 84m on the straight."

Are you talking specifically about Atlanta, because most of the tracks I've seen are exactly 100m on each straightaway. Many tracks are not, but 100m straights are the norm, I believe.

Comment

>Are you talking specifically about Atlanta,
      >because most of the tracks I've seen are exactly
      >100m on each straightaway. Many tracks are not,
      >but 100m straights are the norm, I believe.

Nope. IAAF regulation tracks are 116m curve + 84m straight (it's in the tech manual). All tracks on which championships take place (should!) have these dimensions.

There is a bit more freedom for the dimensions of indoor tracks, some of which don't even have turns of constant radius.

Comment

That's what I've heard.
        I was just offering the things which I have heard.

In my own opinion, the 0.4s conversion is ridiculous!!!I agree with you totally JRM.

If MJ wanted to run 100m as a 'career choice', he would of.
        It's fun trying to predict what times he would of run had he of fully concentrated running the 100m.

I think he could of run a low 9.90s, possibly a sub-9.90s with a 'good wind'.

He did have an 'iffy' start, but he had good speed maintenance and quite a high top speed.

I have problem imagining those times(low 9.90s & possibly sub-9.90s if lucky, with a good wind)

We'll never know...

Comment

King, I agree with you on MJ's top 100 speed. I think with proper focus on that event,and in a race where he would be pushed to win, I would say 9.92 to 9.96 area. He never really trained for the 100 specifically. The injuries he sustained in college also pushed him towards the 400. He also was built for the curve. I agree with Tafnut he was the greatest curve runner ever. If he would have trained for it his start would have gotten a little better and more consistent. It would have been fun to see him hook up with 3 of the top US runners to run the 4x100. I saw him run it once in Berlin. The meet organizer did a poor job of putting the runners on their legs.The team was Bailey to Johnson to Fredericks to Christie. They only ran 38.87 to barely beat a team of Michael Green to Osman Ezinwa to Davidson Ezinwa to Seun Ogunkoya. They ran 38.88. Why would you run MJ 2nd on that team? He should have been 3rd. Bailey should have been 2nd and Fredericks 1st leg.

Comment

Atlanta ’96 OG Men’s 200m Final:
            http://los.idx.com.au/200mwr.zip
            Atlanta ’96 OG Men’s 200m Final (from a different angle)
            http://los.idx.com.au/200mwr_diffangle.zip
            You can see the stumble best from the 'Different angle video'

Thanks for the videos, this is a coaches dream.

Comment

Working...
            X