X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quincy watts

who thinks that quincy watts could have gone faster than 43.50

Re: quincy watts

What do you mean by that? Do you mean, "was he physically capable of going faster?"

I think pretty much any runner is physically capable of going faster than his/her personal record.

I doubt there are too many people who truly achieved their maximum potential.

Comment

What happened to Quincy? The US had some really good 400 runners then. MJ,Butch,Quincy,Steve Lewis, Danny Everett before his injury, Antonio Pettigrew, and throw in Kevin Young and you have some serious 4x400's. Don't forget Andrew Valmon and an older Antonio McKay.

Comment

What happened to Watts? He won two Olympic gold medals. Even in this day of professionalism it's horridly hard trying to work hard enough to stay on top after you've already reached the top of the mountain. Particulalry when you see that Michael Johnson is going to kick your ass.

Comment

>What happened to Watts? He won two Olympic gold
          >medals. Even in this day of professionalism it's
          >horridly hard trying to work hard enough to stay
          >on top after you've already reached the top of
          >the mountain. Particulalry when you see that
          >Michael Johnson is going to kick your ass.

if watts just like johnson would have remained true to his training and preparation, my thoughts is, he would have ran mj to the wire everytime.

Comment

I agree with the thread originator. 1992 was a breakthrough year for Watts. I think he just tapped into his potential when he won the Golds on the 400 and Relay.

Anyone who saw the 400 race could see how much raw power that Watts had. In fact, if he had learned to run as strategically as MJ had (Watts tended to go out too fast) he could have broken the WR. I think Watts could have worked more on his closing 100. I understand he had a tendency to gain weight. It would have been fantastic if Watts had kept going a few more years and challenged MJ in head-to-head competition in 1993-96, when MJ reached his peak.

In any case, I am glad that Watts is now coaching and imparting his knowledge and experience to the next generation of quarter milers.

Comment

> It would have been fantastic if Watts had kept going
              >a few more years and challenged MJ in
              >head-to-head competition in 1993-96, when MJ
              >reached his peak.>>

Watts went head to head with MJ in '93 and got his head handed to him.

USATF: 43.74 to 44.24
              Weltklasse: 44.22 to 44.65
              World Ch 43.65 to 45.05
              ISTAF 43.94 to 44.82
              V Damme 44.45 to 44.89

Also got to remember that Watts was an age-group superstar; unrealistic to expect him to have much fire left once he reached his mid-20s.

Comment

I know Watts won 2 golds, but I was asking about the years after 92'and 93'. He just flamed out. I heard he had injury problems. I remember alot of animosity towards MJ from Butch,Steve Lewis, and especially Danny Everett. I don't think Quincy was a part of that, but isn't it kind of ironic how MJ handed all those guys their rears after they doubted him and were so vehemently against him running the 4x400 at Barcelona?

Comment

Quincy Watts is the greatest 400m runner ever. He ran like a gazzel, and in 92, no one could touch him. In the semi-finals at the Olympics he dipped a 43.5 and slowed down 20meters before the tape. He deffinatley would have ran in the 42's. And where was mj that year? Oh i forgot he was faking a illness, yeah sure mj, he just didn't want to see Q. Watts. Now I Quote "We all have our time to shine, until life gets in the way". Q Watts had his time, and no one did it better.

Comment

no knock on Quincy, he was THE MAN , clearly the best, but I believe MJ was sick all week, this is the first I have ever heard of him faking it. Very doubtful. But I agree that Watts' 43.50 looked absoluteley fabulous and effortless. No way MJ would have beaten him even if healthy. Alas, Watts was a one-year wonder when it comes to WR-breaking potential.

Comment

Johnson was focusing solely on the 200m for Barcelona. The top 3 at the 92 Trials were Everett, Lewis and Watts.

Pitting Johnson at the top of his class versus anyone else at any time, Johnson would win.

Comment

I wonder if the Nike Shoe incident in Stuttgart (Worlds 93) mentally took him out of there? Just wondering.

Otherwise, untouched in 1992. Was he the last collegiate runner to dip under 44?

Comment

I knew MJ was not in the 400 at the OG, I was thinking of what would have happened IF they had faced each other in the 400. And MJ was a dog in the 200, no doubt, and ran a decidedly unspectacular leg on the 400x4 relay. To repeat, I recall that he was under the weather.

Comment

What actually happened with MJ is that he got food poisoning after a meet in Salamanca about 2-3 weeks before the Olympics.

He got back to the U.S. and was sick and basically unable to train for about a week; he then started training again for about a week before leaving for Barcelona, but his workouts were not really up to par because he was still weakened from the food poisoning.

Same situation in Barcelona; he was still weak from the illness and it was all he could do to get the semis of the 200, running 20-high in both the first and second rounds (with maximum effort).

In the 4x4, he ran the slowest of the four legs in the race.

Comment

>I knew MJ was not in the 400 at the OG, I was
                              >thinking of what would have happened IF they had
                              >faced each other in the 400. And MJ was a dog in
                              >the 200, no doubt, and ran a decidedly
                              >unspectacular leg on the 400x4 relay. To
                              >repeat, I recall that he was under the weather.

That "unspectacular" 44.7 are by American standards. How many people would do anything to run that leg?

Comment

Working...
                              X