Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst athlete to win Olympic Gold?

ajax, I truly was being facetious about him "spoiling " the competition.

And since they all knew what was going on in the 3J( thanks for the sched. info, I was wrong on that) , they should have not gotten mentally fried the way they did. (easy for me to say sitting in an office 35 years later, I know. )

But do you agree that if he had jumped 27'8" instead of 29'2", it all would have worked out completely differently ?

Comment

<But do you agree that if he had jumped 27'8" instead of 29'2", it all would have worked out completely differently ?>

Tough to say. I believe Boston was not at his best in 1968, and Ter-O was also probably past his best. Given the win-loss record between Boston and Beamon in 1968 (0-6, I believe), I think Beman was due to win the LJ. At 27'8", 28'4", or 29'2" can't say. But what a moment in 1968, and followed up a few minutes later by the great new 400 m WR as Evans edged out James in "uncharacteristic" fashion, leading most of the way, instead of playing catch up as usual.

Comment

thanks ajax, and I'll conclude our little one on one colloquy by agreeing that Ralph and Igor were indeed on the downslope and that Beamon was the best, and would have won even without that opening whopper.

And you are right, it was just one heck of a great tract and field meet !!! Top to bottom, all events save maybe the SP which was, relatively speaking, ho-hum.

Comment

<thanks ajax, and I'll conclude our little one on one colloquy by agreeing that Ralph and Igor were indeed on the downslope and that Beamon was the best, and would have won even without that opening whopper.
          And you are right, it was just one heck of a great tract and field meet !!! Top to bottom, all events save maybe the SP which was, relatively speaking, ho-hum. >

More than welcome, Steve, and what a pleasure to discuss matters, without any name-calling or invective. As a relatively young man then, I agree with you that the 1968 Olys stands out in my mind. Only other one, I would have loved to attend, the 1952 Olys. To see Kohlemainen carry the torch, as well as Nurmi. And then finally to see and hear the knowledgable Finnish fans (raised on appreciation of long distance runners), respond to the great Emil Zatopek's three victories - especially the marathon.

Comment

The Kenyan from Mt. St.Mary's? who won the 1500 in Seoul [who's name escapes me] ran a nice tactical race I guess but he was never really heard from again. He stunk and the race was a huge disapointment.

Comment

Lindy Remigino 1952 100M. All the top sprinters either were injured or chose not to run the 100.

Comment

<Lindy Remigino in 1952.
                You are right about Stanfield not running and Art Bragg injured but Mcdonald Bailey, Dean Smith and McKenley were among the leading sprinters of that time.
                Remigino was no superstar but he was ranked number 1 in '52 and that's not bad.

Comment

>The Kenyan from Mt. St.Mary's? who won the
                  >the 1500 in Seoul [who's name escapes me] ran a
                  >nice tactical race I guess but he was never
                  >really heard from again. He stunk and the race
                  >was a huge disapointment.

Peter Rono. Incredibly lucky fella. Cram was injured after having won the Dream Mile against a top field weeks earlier. Peter Elliot, a 1:42, 3:29 man, injured. Abdi Bile, the 87 World Champ, injured. Said Aouita, injured. The four top men in the race - running injured or out with injuries. Rono can always wave his gold medal, but he won a stinky race against an injury riddled field.

Comment

Jim Golliday was also injured in 1952 and didn't run in the trails, probably was the favorite.As far as being ranked #1 the Olympic champ usually is.

Comment

Beamon? Ralph Boston - the favorite - was on record saying he feared BB more than anyone. And yes, he was a 27'-er.

Comment

Worst...Best...
                        This is a non-sense, just because, the glorious
                        uncertainty of sports belongs to the beauty of
                        the Olympics, especially of track, its sport
                        number one.

Comment

Florence Griffith-Joyner

Comment

ROFL
                            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I won't say worst athlete, because no one is a bad athlete when you get to that level. I will say "one hit wonder".

Paul Ereng, 800m. I remember this race, because Charlie Jones, a very good broadcaster in my opinion, thought he was Nixon Kipotich. Jones greaciously, in his baritone vioce, apologized, "Oh, my, that is Paul Ereng".

Did Jones get the wrong list of names from the producers?

Comment

I wouldn't really call Ereng a one-hit wonder. He did come out of nowhere in 1988, but his career didn't end there. His win in the World Indoors in 1989 in a WR time was a classic, he won another World Indoor title in 1991, was 4th in the World Champs in 1991, and ranked 1st in the world in 89 and 4th in 91. Perhaps not enough to warrant a place in the 'all-time greatest 800 meter runner' thread, but a solid career record nonetheless.
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X