Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's 3,000 record getting some ink

It was nice to see in the new T&fnews that one of my favorite records, the 7:20.67 by Daniel Komen, is mentioned as a benchmark.

Robert Cheruiyot, who is world ranked no.2 and has run 2:07 twice, states trying to run a worlds record the marathon is so difficult its like trying to set a new 3,000 record. " I can only compare it to the 3000m record of 7:20.67."

Also Bekele is talking about maybe goin for some world records this summer. He says maybe the 5 or 10, with the 5 being more difficult. No mention of going for the 3,000, which he does not own!

I dont think 7:20=19.32 but its damn fine.
    phsstt!

7:20.67 = 1299 points

19.32 = 1335 points

Look like you're right Squackee.
    Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Yes, this mark is amazing--and we knew it at the time. Remember all the ink & talk Morceli's 7:25 got in 1994? It's interesting that only 4 guys have ever run faster than Morceli--and only 3 if you drop Saidi-Sief for that nasty little asterix. Someone will eventually break 7:20 but it won't be for a while, and I'll bet the farm that Bekele can't do it.

Comment

What's Komen doing these days. driving cab in Nairobi? Or is he still around - seemed to drop off the radar rather young.
        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
          What's Komen doing these days. driving cab in Nairobi?
          He's more likely to be owning a fleet of cabs.

Comment

Re: Men's 3,000 record getting some ink

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            It was nice to see in the new T&fnews that one of my favorite records, the 7:20.67 by Daniel Komen, is mentioned as a benchmark.

Robert Cheruiyot, who is world ranked no.2 and has run 2:07 twice, states trying to run a worlds record the marathon is so difficult its like trying to set a new 3,000 record. " I can only compare it to the 3000m record of 7:20.67."

Also Bekele is talking about maybe goin for some world records this summer. He says maybe the 5 or 10, with the 5 being more difficult. No mention of going for the 3,000, which he does not own!

I dont think 7:20=19.32 but its damn fine.
            Komen also holds the 2-mile world record. If I remember correctly, it is 7:58.67, which he ran in 1997. He also ran 7:58.92 in Australia in March, 1998, which ESPN televised.

Comment

Rieti has often the location of middle distance records, and frequently gets people grumbling that it's a short track - though it's been surveyed more than once and found to be ok. Komen didn't help those rumors by running so fast. 3k/2M seemed to be his ideal distance the 7:20.67 converts to 7:55.93 for 2 miles - the idea that Bannister's best for 1 mile would not have been good enough to stay half the distance with Komen fills me with awe at Komen's accomplishment His 5k in the '97WC was quite impressive too - last 3k in 7:33.9 (12:36.5 pace) and a 58 second 8th lap.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                Yes, this mark is amazing--and we knew it at the time. Remember all the ink & talk Morceli's 7:25 got in 1994? It's interesting that only 4 guys have ever run faster than Morceli--and only 3 if you drop Saidi-Sief for that nasty little asterix. Someone will eventually break 7:20 but it won't be for a while, and I'll bet the farm that Bekele can't do it.
                if beke ran the 1500 for a season, i'd expect he could run 59x the whole way 3K as he runs 60-61 the whole way for 5K now.

it's not a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by figo
                  if beke ran the 1500 for a season, i'd expect he could run 59x the whole way 3K as he runs 60-61 the whole way for 5K now.

it's not a stretch.
                  Maybe, cetainly Komen's 3:46 mile helped his cause. Bek will never run the 1500 very much so i guess will never know.
                  phsstt!

Comment

i'd like to see beke, mott and others go for that record, in the same race....
                    who knows, might happen but all the planets need to be in line for the record to go. it's a really great record in my book.

Comment

"beke ran the 1500 for a season, i'd expect he could run 59x the whole way 3K as he runs 60-61 the whole way for 5K now.
                      it's not a stretch."

My skepticism stands: I don't believe Bekele can do it. Your "if" scenario is a chicken-and-egg thing. IF Bekele had the make-up to be a miler, then he'd happily run the 1500 for a season. I don't think that he does have that make-up, and therefore that he wouldn't.

Komen was amazing in person. There was an unsmiling relentlessness about him that was awesome and incredibly intimidating. He had more of a "Terminator" quality than any other top runner I've seen. I saw him for the first time in the '96 Monaco 3000--where he ran 7:25 and change (to just miss Morceli's acclaimed WR), even though he didn't seem to care what his final time was and visibly slowed in the final few steps. One got the sense that he could do just about anything he felt like doing. We then saw him in Zurich, where he beat Geb in 12:44.90. His Brussels WR in '97 was also a thing of beauty.

Comment

A freaky talent. I loved how when churning out 60's his face was so relaxed his lower lip would flap up and down.He had these long skinny legs and his knees seemed incredibly close together.
                        phsstt!

Comment

"beke ran the 1500 for a season, i'd expect he could run 59x the whole way 3K as he runs 60-61 the whole way for 5K now.
                          it's not a stretch."

My skepticism stands: I don't believe Bekele can do it. Your "if" scenario is a chicken-and-egg thing. IF Bekele had the make-up to be a miler, then he'd happily run the 1500 for a season. I don't think that he does have that make-up, and therefore that he wouldn't.

Komen was amazing in person. There was an unsmiling relentlessness about him that was awesome and incredibly intimidating. He had more of a "Terminator" quality than any other top runner I've seen. I saw him for the first time in the '96 Monaco 3000--where he ran 7:25 and change (to just miss Morceli's acclaimed WR), even though he didn't seem to care what his final time was and visibly slowed in the final few steps. One got the sense that he could do just about anything he felt like doing. We then saw him in Zurich, where he beat Geb in 12:44.90. His Brussels WR in '97 was also a thing of beauty.
                          no need to make a big argument here, agreed komen is among the #1 talents all time, maybe even #1 all time....

Comment

for kennster, it's touch & go over 3000

his current ? 3'32 ability & probably 12'35, give him a 7'20 - 7'21, but that is for a race with absolutely perfect pacing ( remember even komen's wr wasn't "perfect" - he went thru 2k in 4'53.6, which is ~ mid-7'19 pace & was too quick ), so in the "real world" with highly unlikely perfect pacing, i see a 7'21 - 7'22 somewhere along the way

( & i do expect a < 26'10 this year : nearer 26'05 mark with perfect pacing )

Comment

Working...
                            X