Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960s Villanova photo ID help please

I believe Frank Murphy is third from left in the four shot(indoor relay?) and left standing in the team photo below. Thanks.
    gh are these shots from T&FN??
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

The guy next to him (and at the right of the top photo) could be Dave Patrick.

The bottom picture refers to the 1966 NCAA Cross-Country championships, which Villanova did win by 76 points. Their team was Tom Donnelly, Charlie Messenger, Frank Murphy, Ian Hamilton, Dave Patrick, and John O'Leary.

The magazine (December 1966) has a picture of these six guys, but they're in street clothes (jacket and tie). From the picture caption, I would say that the two guys in the front row of your picture were O'Leary, right, and probably Messenger, left. The top row would then be (l-r) Murphy, Patrick, Hamilton, and Donnelly.

Gotta go now. I'll work on that relay team when I get back.

Comment

I'm not sure what the four-shot is. I'm pretty sure it's NOT an NCAA championship relay team, because Patrick was never a member of an NCAA championship relay team, and I'm pretty sure that's Patrick on the right.

Perhaps Walt Murphy can help with this.

Comment

The four shot is most likely the indoor WR 2MR set at the Mason-Dixon Games in 1968: Ian Hamilton, Charlie Messenger, Frank Murphy, Dave Patrick. The only other possibility is that the person on the left isn't Hamilton but Craig Nation, in which case this is the 1968 Penn Relays 2MR with Nation, Messenger, Murphy and Patrick. But I doubt it, and I'll try to confirm this tonight.

The Cross Country photo from 1966 (Villanova's first NCAA CC title; they'd won the NCAA t&f in '57) is almost certainly (front row, l-r) Messenger and Jack O'Leary, (back row, l-r) Jack Pyrah, Murphy, Patrick, Hamilton and Tom Donnelly.

Comment

Re: 1960s Villanova photo ID help please

Rigth to left: Dave Patrick, Frank Murphy, Charlie Messinger, either Ian Hamltin, or Tom Donnelly (can't be sure from the angle)

Comment

Originally posted by byronvu72
            Rigth to left: Dave Patrick, Frank Murphy, Charlie Messinger, either Ian Hamltin, or Tom Donnelly (can't be sure from the angle)
            Definitely not Donnelly.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
              Originally posted by byronvu72
              Definitely not Donnelly. From left to right it's Hamilton, Messenger, Murphy, Patrick.

Comment

Working...
              X