Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry JAMES, the most unknown sub-44" athlete...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Larry JAMES, the most unknown sub-44

"If they ran the Nationals in Mexico City every year there probably wouldn't have been a year since 1968 when somebody didn't break 44."

There are plenty of races at altitude these days and nobody is breaking 44.

Comment

tandfman, go to the head of the class !!!

Comment

and # 1 coach, it's difficult to downgrade anyone like Larry. He was a great athlete. But again, if every athlete with accomplishments equal to his was admitted to the Hall of Fame, they would have to double its membership. And again please, not a knock on him one bit. I too saw him run many times.

I am NOT trying to start a controversy here !!!

Comment

"But again, if every athlete with accomplishments equal to his was admitted to the Hall of Fame, they would have to double its membership."

There are not enough other athletes who have run sub-44 to double the membership in the hall of fame.

Comment

what a stupid remark. Is the Hall of Fame only open to quartermilers?

Comment

Larry James could only be considered "unknown" by people who don't know much of anything.

Comment

Steve, you said "accomplishments equal to his."

I take that to mean accomplishments that are exactly the same as his.

If you meant "athletes with equivalent accomplishments in other events," you should have said that. However, if that's what you meant I am not sure how we would figure out the exact equivalent of a 43.97 at other distances. I'd bet that there aren't too many athletes that would qualify.

Bottom line: he was clearly ahead of his era, and he would have beaten everyone handily in 2003 with a 43.97.

However, I will try to keep my "stupid" comments to myself in the future.

Comment

no name, I apologize for the "stupid", that was uncalled for. Sorry.

Yes, I meant "equivalent, etc." Sure his 43.97 was great, as was his 44.1h, but the fact remains that they were altitude assisted, which had to help about.3 or .4, who knows ? And he never won national championships except for 2 NCAA titles. Sure he might have been more dominant if he wads around today, but he has to be avaluated on his actual accomplishments, and I think you are giving too much weight to his 43.97. As good as it was, he lost, it was at altitude, and too my knowlege, other than the 43.97 and the 44.1 h( altitude too) he never ran in the low 44's subsequently, and won no titles other than the 2 NCAA titles mentioned above. That's not up to snuff for the HPOF IMHO. Peace.

Comment

>Excuse me track fans but Larry was the 1968 and
                    >1970 NCaa 400-440m champ. My bad>>

No, he won the 1968 INDOOR champs, where Lee Evans didn't run. World of difference.

Comment

>There are plenty of races at altitude
                      >these days and nobody is breaking 44.>>

I said if they ran NATIONALS at Mexico City's altitude: the quality of the meet is a key component.

Comment

TO ALL OUT THERE LARRY JAMES WAS GREAT&MAJOR HALL OF FAME MATERIAL.HE STILL HOLDS THE 2 FASTEST INDOOR 500YDS. TIMES EVER 53.9 NEVER EVER APPROACHED LEE EVEANS RAN 54.4 TWICE.UP ON THE BOARDS THAT WAS INCREDIBLE.YOU NEED TO ALSO GET THE VIDEO OF JAMES AT PENN RELAYS HIS LEGG BY SOME IN THE STANDS WAS 42.9//42.9//43.1 IT ALSO WAS INCREDIBLE&YES HE&TOMMIE SMITH LEE EVANS-JOHN SMITH--&SEVERAL OTHERS WERE ALL MICHAEL JOHNSON TYPES.

ONE FINAL NOTE:-LARRY JAMES,BECAUSE OF NO MONEY IN TRACK,POLITICS,,WAS RUMORED TO HAVE THOUGHTS ABOUT MONTREAL IN 76-800.HE ALSO RAN 1:08 FLAT FOR 600YDS.--HE ONCE THOUGHT MAYBEE JUST MAYBEE
                        1:39 WAS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Larry James is the atletic director at Richard Stockton College in Pomona, NJ. Larry has been at Stockton since the early 70's. For years he ran "The Mighty Burner Track Camp" during the summer at the college. The camp stressed success in life not just athletics. Larry just returned from Paris where he was the manager for the men's team. He continues to have an active role in USATF.

Comment

OK, this is off the top
                            >of my head after several glasses of wine, but my
                            >recollection is that it was White Plains (NY) HS
                            >and if Larry wasn't the best, it would have been
                            >Otis Hill.

Is Otis Hill the father of Otis Hill, who played on Syracuse's 1996 NCAA Final Four hoop team that lost to Kentucky in the Championship?

Comment

comments

as Jeff Hollobaugh said last year when they put in Torrence and Earl Bell, there are three people in history who have won the 400 and 4x400 gold medals while setting world records in both events.
                              Lee Evans is one, and he's in the HOF. Otis Davis and William Carr are not. I'm not saying Larry James wasn't a stud here, but before placing Larrabee and James, you might want to look at these other guys too.

Comment

DF, that, I do not know. Maybe someone else does. Age differential would be about right.

Comment

Working...
                                X