lane

1.Cal..Quincy Watts..Lee Evans..Steve Lewis..Tommie Smith
    2.Tex..Jeremy Wariner..Curtis Mills..Fred Newhouse..MJ
    3.Cal..Wayne Collett..John Smith..Jeome Davis..Danny Everett
    4.Tex..Darold Williamson..Raymond Pierre..Lewis Banta..Ian Morris
    5.Cal..Maxie Parks..Billy Mullins..Benny Brown...Mike Larrabee
    6.Tex..Danny McCray..Roy Martin..Chris Jones..Gabriel Luke

Hmmm?

You kinda forgot someone from Texas in the 400.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
      I give...who?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
        Originally posted by gm
        I give...who?
        Marion Jones.
        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Re: Texas vs California

4x1

lane

1.Cal..Mike Marsh..James Sanford..Ato Boldon..Tommie Smith
          2.Tex..John Drummond..Leroy Burrell..Jimmy Hines..Carl Lewis
          3.Cal..Lennox Miller..John Carlos..Don Quarrie..Steve Williams
          4.Tex..Andre Cason..Kim Collins..Oba Thompson..Ray Stewart
          5.Cal..Darel Newman..R.R.Smith..Mel Patton..Eddie Hart
          6.Tex..Henry Neal..Robert Taylor..Olapade Adeniken..Bobby Morrow
          I think it would be more fun to see Morrow on that lane 2 team. Give him rubber and modern this and that, and he smokes Drummond, like a reefer. How comes Marion's hubby is running in lane 6? :wink:
          Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
            4x1

lane

1.Cal..Mike Marsh..James Sanford..Ato Boldon..Tommie Smith
            2.Tex..John Drummond..Leroy Burrell..Jimmy Hines..Carl Lewis
            3.Cal..Lennox Miller..John Carlos..Don Quarrie..Steve Williams
            4.Tex..Andre Cason..Kim Collins..Oba Thompson..Ray Stewart
            5.Cal..Darel Newman..R.R.Smith..Mel Patton..Eddie Hart
            6.Tex..Henry Neal..Robert Taylor..Olapade Adeniken..Bobby Morrow
            I think it would be more fun to see Morrow on that lane 2 team. Give him rubber and modern this and that, and he smokes Drummond, like a reefer. How comes Marion's hubby is running in lane 6? :wink:
            Marion married Oba Thompson not...........

John Drummond would blow Bobby Morrow totally away. It would be a laughter. I don't care if Morrow had the latest...whatever. He would be no match for anyone capable of a sub10.00. On the first leg of a 4x1 Drummond just might be the best ever.

Comment

. I don't care if Morrow had the latest...whatever. .
              This is your.....latest...... "whatever"?

Comment

Originally posted by Novitiate
                . I don't care if Morrow had the latest...whatever. .
                This is your.....latest...... "whatever"?
                They could build a special track. One lane made out of dirt, the other the most modern hi tech surface in the galaxy. Drummond on dirt and Morrow on that amazing track with a rocket strapped to his butt and a flattop with fins and he'd still get beat. Hell they could even run the race at on the ACU campus with all his old relay buddies...Segrest, Griggs and Woodhouse cheering him on.

Keep Morrow in with Sime,Golliday,Stanfield and he's fine. Ya don't have him in with the John Drummond's of the world.

Comment

Drummond is quite good, he almost certainly deserves to be considered along side Morrow, ... almost....
                  ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                    Drummond is quite good, he almost certainly deserves to be considered along side Morrow, ... almost....
                    Where is that fantasy world you hang around in anyway? Dude I'm as up on all those old timers as anyone. I'm all over Mozelle Ellerbe and George Lewis, the first great Trini sprinter. Wanna talk Fortun from Cuba? How about all those guys that ran pre 1900? Bernie Wefers?

I do find all that old stuff fascinating. Big Howard Drew fan!

I'm also well aware of the advantages that athletes have today over those old timers. I'm also well aware of the fact that ......the lack of real competition....has a lot to do with our ancient stud sprinters. Every year for the last 30 or so we see a long list of quality athletes in every event. Are you telling me we saw that back in day? Nope! We didn't! We saw a handful of good athletes. Nothing like we see today. Not that hard to dominate a handful.

Jesse Owens ran a 10.2, ok give me that long list of 10.3 guys from the 30's. Hell give me those 10.4 guys.

Look at high school track in Texas. Soooooooooooo many sprinters! Hell they have 4x1 teams that would have crushed Jesse Owens Ohio State 4x1 team. You honestly don't see it do you? It's all about.....competition! Something we simply didn't start seeing until the 60's.

Last season more than 50 sprinters ran a sub 10.29. Doesn't that mean anything to you? Or is it just more fun to wander around in fantasyville?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                      I give...who?
                      Yeah, you're right, Michael Johnson couldn't hold a candle to modern sprinters.

Comment

Only just almost...Morrow was a true great...which I think is your point.

IMHO!

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Originally posted by gm
                          I give...who?
                          Go back and "really" look at how I did that. I'll wait...dada....hmmm...dadada.....ok...

Did ya notice...."one event per athlete?" Yep I used MJ in his best event the 200.

Now don't ya feel silly :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
                            Only just almost...Morrow was a true great...which I think is your point.

IMHO!

Justin
                            Sure Morrow was great. Anyone into this stuff is well aware of his legend. So was Lon Myers who held the American record in everything from the 50 yd dash to the mile. Paddock was great.

Don't however make the mistake of thinking these guys today aren't also great and run far farrrrrrrrrrrrr faster. Let's put Barry Sanders back in the 1920's NFL. What 350 yards a game? All those slowish white guys are gonna catch him? I kinda doubt it.

So this guy couldn't have hung with those old timers?

I’m sure everyone remembers Bo Jackson for his “Bo Knows Bo” Nike ad campaign when he was playing baseball for the Kansas City Royals while also playing football for the Oakland Raiders. Well Bo Jackson was playing multiple sports long before then. Jackson was born in Bessemer, AL and attended

McAdory
                            High School

where he first showed off his athletic abilities. In addition to baseball and football he also was on the track team in high school and claimed two state decathlon championships. As a senior, Bo ran for 1,173 yards on 108 carries, an average of 10.9 yards every rush, and scored 17 touchdowns. Meanwhile he also hit 20 home runs in just 25 games on the baseball field. Bo was so impressive on the baseball field that the New York Yankees wanted to draft him out of high school but Bo declined and instead went to college at
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Even as a high schooler, he could have beat most those pre 60 guys.

Then there's...

Marcus played high school football for the Philadelphia High School Tornadoes from 1978 to 1981. As a freshman in 1978, he ran a 4.4 40-yard dash. He had a 75-yard kickoff return touchdown on his first play in high school. He scored five touchdowns and had seven more on kick and punt returns.

As a sophomore in 1979, Dupree was switched to running back and rushed for 1,850 yards with 28 touchdowns. He was also an integral part of the 1979-80 basketball team which finished the year with a 33-4 record after being eliminated in the semifinals of the state basketball tournament.

His junior year in 1980, he rushed for 1,550 yards with 20 touchdowns. Marcus had four more touchdowns on only five kick returns.

In 1981, his senior year, Dupree rushed for 1,955 yards with 26 touchdowns. That gave him 87 high school touchdowns to break the record set by Herschel Walker by one. He finished high school with 5284 rushing yards on 8.3 yards per carry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Like Bo, Marcus Dupree was a big, powerful, speedy athlete as a high schooler. Give me the ancient Bo Jackson or Marcus Dupree. Ya know that 225 pounder with blazing speed. What ya can't? That's right ya can't!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by gm
                              I give...who?
                              Go back and "really" look at how I did that. I'll wait...dada....hmmm...dadada.....ok...

Did ya notice...."one event per athlete?" Yep I used MJ in his best event the 200.

Now don't ya feel silly :lol:
                              In all seriousness, I would posit that the record shows that the 400 was MJ's best event. The 19.32 was just one race.

Comment

Working...
                              X