Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my favorite Parry O'Brien story, which is from William Oscar Johnson's book on the Olympics "All That Glitters is not Gold" (pp. 246-247). The speaker is Don Bragg and I think he captures the essence of how competitive athletes are.

"But if you really want to know what athletes are like, let me tell you about this time in Texas when Parry O'Brien and I are staying together in this motel room the night before a meet. I'm doing some exercises on this night, and one of them is to do handstand push-ups - push-ups while I'm on my hands with my feet propped on the wall. I'm doing these things and Parry says, 'Hey, man, let me see you do some more.' So I do about 30 of them. I then bet Parry he can't do any. So he gets himself propped against the wall, and he grunts and groans and he gets himself down and up once. Then he says, 'OK, lemme see you do some more.' I do about 40 more; then Parry strains and grunts and does one; then I do about 30 and Parry does 2, and I do 25 and Parry does 2. By now I can hardly move; I've done about 150 to Parry's 6 or 7. I get up on my hands, and, damn, I can't do any more, not one. So Parry kind of painfully gets up on his hands, and he's sweating and bright red in the face and his veins are popping out and by God, if he doesn't manage to do one more push-up. Then real quick, he stands up, brushes his hands together and says, 'I won.'

"That's what athletes are about."

Comment

Great stories, I lov'em!

Comment

Props to the man who revolutionized the sport.

Comment

was "Parry" his name or a nickname? Has there been anyone else of note since the late fifties named Parry?

Comment

According to Wiki (and I think they're right), his full name was William Patrick O'Brien. Parry was a nickname.

Comment

Parry competed in masters track up until at least the mid-1980s -- and set M50 world records, too.

My blog also quotes eyewitnesses at the swim meet where he died:
              http://masterstrack.com/blog/001408.html

K E N
              K E N

Comment

Working...
              X