Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Slover, "two-time Olympian" in Pole Vault ??!!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Slover, "two-time Olympian" in Pole Vault ??!!

The latest issue(4/30) of Sports Illustrated, page 36, has a nice article on HS PV'er Tori Anthony. In it, her private coach, Bob Slover, is cited as a "two-time Olympian."

Well, this did not seem correct, although his name seemed familiar from back in the late 60's and early 70's. I thought just maybe he competed for some country other than USA, since our Olympians in '68 were Bob Seagren, John Pennel, and Casey Carrigan, and in '72 they were Seagren, Steve Smith, and Jan Johnson.

I googled him, and was referred to University of California's website on his son Scott, the current Track Coach at Cal. In Scott's bio, it states that his father, Bob Slover, "competed in the 1968 and 1972 Olympics in the Pole Vault."

Sadly, not so. In 1968, Bob had a seasonal best of 16'6" and finished 9th in our USA semifinal OT's, not qualifying for the final OT's.

4 years later, in 1972, he had a seasonal best of 17'3". He competed in the USA Olympic Trials but no-heighted.

Time, at a minimum, for 1) Cal to clean up Scott's bio and 2) time for Sports Illustrated to check their facts better.

Its too bad the his past was pumped up because he was really, really good without it.
    phsstt!

Comment

Don't necessarily blame Bob for this. I know first-hand how reporters can take words and twist them in their own demented little brains and make what you said into something that is 180 degrees out-of-whack.

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis
        Don't necessarily blame Bob for this. I know first-hand how reporters can take words and twist them in their own demented little brains and make what you said into something that is 180 degrees out-of-whack.

Kurt
        Your right and i dont blame him.
        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          Originally posted by Kurt Francis

Kurt
          Your right and i dont blame him.
          Please re-read my posting.... I blamed absolutely nobody. I was being very careful not to do so. But that bio of his son should clearly be corrected.

Comment

Once upon a time (certainly in Bob Slover's era as an athlete), SI had fact checkers who would have made sure that this sort of error never appeared in the magazine. Apparently, they are now no better than that newspaper in Grand Rapids.

Comment

Unfortunately most people don't know the difference between the Olympic Trials and the Olympics.

Comment

Bob's a good standup guy; can't imagine his feeling the need to inflate his résumé like this.

Comment

Working...
                X