these 3 for sure....
    i can't think of anyone else

Comment

Re: Top 10 Starters out of the blocks?

only one answer, which is:.....

ARMIN HARY

Comment

Eddie Conwell, Ira Murchison, Mel Pender, and i agree Hary.

Comment

You can throw Herb Washington, and Houston McTear into the mix.

Comment

1. McTear (by far) 2. Hary 3. Pender 4. Ben Johnson 5. Outlin 6. Washington 7. Owens, 8. Graddy 9. Drummond 10. Collins ( I included him because I wanted to have ten.

Comment

1. Hary 2.Ira Murchison 3 Herb Carper 4 Kornelyuk 5 McTear 6 Yoshioka

Comment

I was hoping someone would bring in Armin Hary. Certainly the best starter of his day, but I think he may have registered a few red flags if modern starting blocks had been in place.

I would think that the best single reation was Montgomery's .104 start in his 100m WR. Of course he didn't accelerate as well as he could have (said he was expecting a flase start) but it's the best reaction time I've ever ehard of.

Comment

Colin Jackson should be on this list. Another not yet mentioned is Mel Pender.

Comment

Pender was mentioned twice.

Comment

Yeah, well, I guess I have to be the jerk who sends this thread reeling off into the path of other run-away train threads... Listen, a reaction time of .104 is not a reaction time, it is an anticipation time. Every sprinter anticipates the gun, it's just that if you are too good at it (in this case .005 sec faster) you get thrown out of the race!!!

Comment

Andre Cason!

Comment

yeah - not to start a fight here, but look at BJ's Seoul start sometime. Pops straight up running - has a meter on the field in the first 10 (5?).

Comment

Ben Johnson and Houston McTear stand out in my minds as two of the best starters of all time over the first 5-10 meters.

Johnson sorta lept out of the blocks with both hands thrust up at once. I rememer one photograph in particular from an indoor meet in 1987 or 1988 that caught him in the split second after the gun sounded and he was in air, both arms thrust up and forward and both feet about 2 inches in the air in ront of the block pedals.

McTear was just uncanny in his ability to react (or anticipate) to the gun and get to top speed in only a few strides (or so it seemed). I'm sure his shor stature helped in the effort as there was less for him to uncoil.

Comment

1. Gail Devers ( 1996 Atlanta olympics)
                              2. Tanya Lawerance ( Entire 2002 seasonal agaist Marion Jones)
                              3. Zhanna Block( 2001 World Champ upsets Marion Jones)(That was marions worst & sloppest race, even her last efforts at the finish was terrible.)

Comment

Working...
                              X