Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ximena RESTREPO South America's best female sprinter?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ximena RESTREPO South America's best female sprinter?

I always wonder what happened to her? I know she won bronze in Barcelona. Would she have gone further if she went to the US to train in her peak years. She still has both the deuce and quarter records for the continent.....

She went to college at Nebraska.

Comment

51.01 to win the '91 NCAA title as a senior.

Comment

Her coach, Empertriz Gonzalez-Henao, was recently named Head Coach (men & women) at NAIA Warner-Southern College in Lake Wales, FL.

Comment

I find it somewhat peculiar that Brazil hasn't produced some better women sprinters.
          Take good care of yourself.

Comment

its all about culture. In the US and Europe (and wherever western cultural values are fully embraced) women are seen as full and valued in every aspect, and in many aspects we rightly place women ahead and on a pedestal. Some cultures view women quite differently than that and especially so in sports. It would seem that Brazil should be moving more towards the west in this regard and we should see more great performances from this very large nation.
            ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
              its all about culture. In the US and Europe (and wherever western cultural values are fully embraced) women are seen as full and valued in every aspect, and in many aspects we rightly place women ahead and on a pedestal. Some cultures view women quite differently than that and especially so in sports. It would seem that Brazil should be moving more towards the west in this regard and we should see more great performances from this very large nation.
              Interesting, I wasn't aware that a large Catholic-industrialized-Western Hemispheric- democratic nation like Brazil - which is more than a little liberal by the way - would be stifling women's chances to compete in sports. I'd have expected that from Hijabia or Burkalia.

Mardi Gras in Rio, outrageously flamboyant and camp:

And that's just the women! :wink:

Comment

considering their women's team's excellence in volleyball & basketball, they shoud have medal contenders in all sprints & jumps

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                  considering their women's team's excellence in volleyball & basketball, they shoud have medal contenders in all sprints & jumps
                  They are . . . at the Continental level. They've won the 100m at the South American Championships 7 of the last 8 times, the 200m 3 of the last 6, the 100mH the last four in a row, the HJ 21 of the last 23, the LJ 12 of the last 14, and the TJ the last four in a row.

The failure to be siimilarly successful is not just a Brazilian problem. It happens that the entire continent is relatively weak internationally, both men and women, with some obvious exceptions, many of them Brazilian.

Comment

It has to do with sporting traditions. T&F has simply never really caught on in South America.

New Zealand with about 4mill pop has won twice as many medals as Brasil with about 200mill.

Iceland with about 300.000 and Luxembourg are ahead of Venezuela.

Comment

You do know that Ms Restrepo has nothing to do with Brazil, correct?

Comment

Correct. It appears that Mennisco diverted the thread a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          Correct. It appears that Mennisco diverted the thread a bit.
                          Oh come on, it's called something something South America whatever. :lol:

Comment

I think he thought the title was South America's best chorus girl....... :lol: ops:

Comment

Originally posted by Track fan
                              I think he thought the title was South America's best chorus girl....... :lol: ops:
                              good thing those feathers and boots aren't the Brazilian equivalent of the burka. they'd obstruct athletes 3 lanes away.

Comment

Working...
                              X