Re: Unanswered Trivia Questions

>I'm still waiting for an answer to my
    >other
    >question (2000 Olympic champion
    >finishing
    >second to a WR in 1987).

I'm
    >guessing a walk?

That wouldn't be a likely candidate, would it ? I said the WR was in a very different event to the one in which the athlete won the Olympics. What other event could a walker compete in at a high level ? Walking races over different distances wouldn't qualify as VERY different in my books.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

it's gotta be a shot vs discus type deal or a decathlon/heptathlon vs some field event deal oe a sprint vs LJ deal IMHO

Comment

>it's gotta be a shot vs discus type deal or a
        >decathlon/heptathlon vs some field event deal oe
        >a sprint vs LJ deal IMHO

Believe it or not, it's none of the above.

Comment

I'm convinced that the '87 "competition" (that word was chosen carefully I suspect) had nothing to do with track & field.

Comment

It is track and field - I can tell you that much

Comment

Dennis Mitchell('00 4x1), 2nd to McRae or Johnson's* 60 record in 87 WInCh??

Comment

Or Privolova 2nd to a 200m indoor record(Ottey or someone)

Comment

Oooooh!.... Drechsler - 2nd to an indoor 200 or 100 or 300m record(which no one can look up anywhere.. time for me to get back to work..)

Comment

None of the answers so far is right... but I guess, since her name has come up, I have to admit it is Irina Privalova. The question now is: what was the event in which she finished runner-up to WR in 1987 ? If you don't know it, the answer will surprise you...

Comment

It it's Privalova, then going back that far it has to be the TJ.

Comment

My guess:

2.09m Stefka Kostadinova BUL 25-Mar-1965 Roma, ITA 30-Aug-1987

2nd choice:

12.25 +1.4 Zinga Zagorcheva BUL 12-Apr-1956 Drama, GRE 08-Aug-1987

Comment

Let me stretch this one a bit farther: the 2nd- and 3rd-place finishers in that competition both won golds at the '93 Worlds; one of them in this event, the other in a different event (that's also different than the '00 event!)

Comment

DJ was closest on the 2000 Olympic Champion 2nd in a WR - it was Privalova (under her maiden name Sergeyeva) jumping 13.39 in Moskva on 3Jan87, behind Galina Chistyakova's 13.98

On 6 5.5 Steve's trivia - Gutknecht wore his grad school shirt when he won the '61 AAU 6 miles (I have no idea where that was)
                            R.E.Merritt was a teammate of Nelson's at Andrews HS in 1960 - R.E.M (did he become famous for beinga rock group ?) ran 48.3y that season
                            One of the Duke 4x440 team was a fellow called Bazemore - the other 2 ???

2 trivia questions for all of you -
                            1/ What links HJ WR stters Ludmila Andonova (BUL) and Tamara Bykova (SOV) other than the fact that both set WRs in 1984 ?
                            2/ Can you name me 2 British Olympic sprint medallists who were well-regarded internationals in another sport (and what sport was it) ?

Comment

"1/ What links HJ WR stters Ludmila Andonova (BUL) and Tamara Bykova (SOV) other than the fact that both set WRs in 1984 ?"

Um.........they were both teammates at one point.

Their nations both boycotted the '85 Olympics........

....i'm probably not even remotely close.

Comment

>DJ was closest on the 2000 Olympic Champion 2nd
                                >in a WR - it was Privalova (under her maiden name
                                >Sergeyeva) jumping 13.39 in Moskva on 3Jan87,
                                >behind Galina Chistyakova's 13.98>>

Which makes it a rather deceptive question, since it was indoors and it was before the IAAF even recognized the event.

Comment

Working...
                                X