Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most challenging doubles in same meet

"Kratochvílová reached places where no woman ever came talking about 400m specific endurance."

You can say that again.

Comment

sorry, i don't master English language, i meant that she reached a level in sp. endurance that no woman had approached then. Since then, maybe Marita Koch, the others are far behind.

Comment

"sorry, i don't master English language, i meant that she reached a level in sp. endurance that no woman had approached then. Since then, maybe Marita Koch, the others are far behind."

I totally agree. You can say that again.

Comment

:-}

Comment

No list of "doubles" is complete without Mal Whitfield whom I was lucky enough to see run in his last great season 1953.
            Since I have Cordner Nelson's fabulous work "Track's Greatest Champions" I'll just quote from it.
            "Perhaps his (Whitfield's) greatest accomplishments came as a doubler. In one day of the 1948 Final Trial, he won the 800 in 1.50.6, ran a heat of 400 in 47.3, and won the final in 46.6. Indoors in 1953 he set a Madison Square Garden 880 record of 1.50.9 and came back little over an hour later with a World Record 600 in 1.09.5. On July 29, in Cologne, he ran a 1.48.4 800 and came back in 45 minutes with a 46.2 400. In Finland on August 16, he broke the 1000-meter World Record with 2.20.8. One hour later he ran his American Record 440 in 46.2"
            Nuff Ced.

Comment

"Imagine a man who could jog through a 400 semi in the Worlds a full 2 seconds off his 400 best and still qualify easily. Not even MJ could get away with that."

Um.........yes he could, and did, on regular occasion in championships.

Comment

Well, i should correct myself......usually MJ was in the 44.5 range in the semis.......i had read it assuming you were talking about rounds. Disregard my last comment.

Comment

What about Gerry Lindgren's double at the Kingston, Jamaica meet in the summer of '64, just out of high school? He ran 13:17 for 3 miles, then 4:01.5 for the mile. Remarkable!

Comment

what about Lasse Viren, 10K/5K

Comment

Robert Korzeniowski's 20k & 50k double in Sydney. The combo of distances involved, competition level, risk of injury and chance of DQ make this the most impressive I can think of. He's also the only person to ever defend the 50k Gold.

Comment

Working...
                      X