Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best 100's

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The best 100's

    For a stats nut there never has been a site as good as Mirko Jalava's (I look upon the TF News site as something more] - Looking at the best 100's Mirko has compiled the 10 best races - taking an average time for the top-8 these are:

    1. 9.967 Tokyo WCh '91
    2. 10.003 Lausanne '96
    3. 10.009 Stuttgart WCh '93
    4. 10.025 Lausanne '99
    5. 10.039 Indianapolis NC '97
    10.039 Lausanne '97
    7. 10.044 Stockholm '99
    8. 10.047 Lausanne '94
    9. 10.058 Atlanta OT '96
    10. 10.064 New York NC '91

    Dennis Mitchell ran in 8 of the above races (Fredericks 5, Burrell and Drummond 4

    Probaly fastest of all would have been the 2000 OT (10.119) but run into a 1.7 wind

    The moral of this is - if you can't get into a WC or US championship race - run in Lausanne

  • #2
    Re: The best 100's

    Originally posted by rhymans
    Looking at the best 100's Mirko has compiled the 10 best races
    Do you suppose there's a high statistical correlation between those tracks and their 'firmness' vs. other venues that hosted equally fast fields? Or was that your point to begin with?

    I'm as guilty as the next guy (or even moreso as the Marks Snob) with being enamored with 'fast times', so it always seems as though the 'fast' tracks - some combination of 'firmness' and composition of materials (e.g., 'mondo') - have an 'unfair' advantage of producing the best marks. It's as though a 'slower' track is doomed form the start, because they can't 'compete' with the Atlantas, Indys and Tokyos of the world. I guess that's the downside of being a Marks Snob, but oh well, that's me.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think a few factors are in play. Lausanne comes early on in the European season, and is usually favoured with gentle following winds - compare with Zurich, where the winds are generally mild headwinds and occasionally Zurich is hit by heavy storms. I'm sure you're right about the hardness of the tracks (though Stockholm historically didn't qualify under that heading), but consider also the speed of the gun - always helpful at Swiss meetings

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rhymans
        but consider also the speed of the gun - always helpful at Swiss meetings
        hadn't considered that. The sprinters know it's coming right after 'fertig' and can 'anticipate' as it were?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tafnut
          Originally posted by rhymans
          but consider also the speed of the gun - always helpful at Swiss meetings
          hadn't considered that. The sprinters know it's coming right after 'fertig' and can 'anticipate' as it were?
          just as long as it's above 0.100 !

          Comment


          • #6
            Apparently we're still waiting for a quality race in the current decade, 7 years and counting, into the 21st century.
            Take good care of yourself.

            Comment


            • #7
              lausanne at 600m altitude has ~ 0.02s built-in

              it's not high enough for fans to auto-think "altitude" time, & dismiss it, but "sneaky" high enough to turn 9.77 to 9.75 without you batting an eyelid...

              Comment


              • #8
                Only a bit higher than Zurich - which doesn't make it into the top-10 for reasons already mentioned.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The best 100's

                  Originally posted by rhymans
                  For a stats nut there never has been a site as good as Mirko Jalava's (I look upon the TF News site as something more] - Looking at the best 100's Mirko has compiled the 10 best races - taking an average time for the top-8 these are:

                  1. 9.967 Tokyo WCh '91
                  2. 10.003 Lausanne '96
                  3. 10.009 Stuttgart WCh '93
                  4. 10.025 Lausanne '99
                  5. 10.039 Indianapolis NC '97
                  10.039 Lausanne '97
                  7. 10.044 Stockholm '99
                  8. 10.047 Lausanne '94
                  9. 10.058 Atlanta OT '96
                  10. 10.064 New York NC '91

                  Dennis Mitchell ran in 8 of the above races (Fredericks 5, Burrell and Drummond 4

                  Probaly fastest of all would have been the 2000 OT (10.119) but run into a 1.7 wind

                  The moral of this is - if you can't get into a WC or US championship race - run in Lausanne
                  Where does the Sevilla WC Final from 1999 rank ? That was mighty fast

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rhymans
                    Only a bit higher than Zurich - which doesn't make it into the top-10 for reasons already mentioned.
                    i think zurich often runs 2 heats beforehand to determine the finalists a coupla hours later - somehing which lausanne doesn't do - they run a straight-final there, so they are "fresher"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Indianapolis 1988 was a bit quick.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by eldrick
                        Originally posted by rhymans
                        Only a bit higher than Zurich - which doesn't make it into the top-10 for reasons already mentioned.
                        i think zurich often runs 2 heats beforehand to determine the finalists a coupla hours later - somehing which lausanne doesn't do - they run a straight-final there, so they are "fresher"
                        I've always thought that a heat a couple of hours before a 100m actually served as a warm up. Most global 100 finals come a couple of hours after a semiand that didn't harm Bailey in '96, Lewis in '91 etc. A recent (modest) example is what Devonish did in Oslo.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          it's true that a heat 2 hours before doesn't stop fast times/wrs, but it's still fatgue in the legs

                          who knows what King or bailey may have run without that prelim

                          woud King's 9.86 have been 9.84 ?

                          woud bailey's 9.84 have been 9.82 ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For a junior in high school to tie the world record in the 100 yard dash....whoa!!!!!!!!!! I'll go with McTears 9.0!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Texas
                              For a junior in high school to tie the world record in the 100 yard dash....whoa!!!!!!!!!! I'll go with McTears 9.0!
                              What did the other seven guys run? You haven't even read the thread have you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X