Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 Olympic Trials 200 meters dash

I've been curious about this for some time. As many of us know, Larry Black gave Borzov a run for his money in the Olympic 200 final (until Borzov shifted into over-drive), and ran an impressive 20.2. However, I'm curious to know how Chuck Smith beat Black with a 20.4 in the trials? Was Black hurt or was Smith hurt in the Olympic and only could manage a fifth place. I remember the picture in "Sports Illustrated" of Smith winning the trials and no one seemd to be close. Does anyone have any details from that race or even the heats?
    I was only 11 years old at that time with a growing interest in track, however their just werent very many places to get information and I couldnt afford Track and Field News then with my $1 a week allowance.

Re: 72 Olympic Trials 200 meters dash

Same reason Carlos beat Smith in the '68 Trials: Black and Smith both drew lane 1 (gotta remember that it's only relatively recently that lane-seeding began in international competition).

Since Black also got lane 1 in Munich (not that it would have made any difference against Borzov), he may rate as perhaps the unluckiest 200 guy ever.

ps--Black also drew lane 1 in the OG semis (can't find his assignments for the first two rounds, but the way the U.S. was snakebit w/ lane 1 draws in Munich, I'd almost not be surprised to see he had the inside there also)

Comment

>Same reason Carlos beat Smith in the '68 Trials:
      >Black and Smith both drew lane 1 (gotta remember
      >that it's only relatively recently that
      >lane-seeding began in international
      >competition).

Since Black also got lane 1 in
      >Munich (not that it would have made any
      >difference against Borzov), he may rate as
      >perhaps the unluckiest 200 guy ever.

ps--Black
      >also drew lane 1 in the OG semis (can't find his
      >assignments for the first two rounds, but the way
      >the U.S. was snakebit w/ lane 1 draws in Munich,
      >I'd almost not be surprised to see he had the
      >inside there also)

and was not Borzov's time a nice even electronic 20 flat, not "20.2" as jlightn' said? Which was I think the fastest ever elec.-timed 200 not run at altitude?

Comment

Jlightning,
        In 1972 Black won the NAIA-meet in 20,0m (twice actually -both in heat and final), but then lost to Smith (20,5y) at LA (20,7y in 3rd) and was only 3rd (20,9y) behind Hart (20,5y) at Berkeley.
        Smith won the AAU in 20,7m (against the wind) ahead of british quartermiler Jenkins (20,8m).
        At the OT Black ran 20,4 heat, Smith did 20,4 in the quarters and then (with a -3,8m/s headwind) Smith took the second semi in 20,5. Black was second in 20,8.
        The final we know....

In Europe Smith seemed to loose form (3rd in Stockholm with a 21,1 behind Collett(!!) 20,8) while Black won at Viareggio in 20,5.
        At the pre-oly contest in M√ľnich (aug23) Black won Race 2 in 20,24 (Quarrie second in 20,61)while Smith took the 3rd race in 20,67...

the rest is history...

Comment

< At the pre-Oly contest in Munich Black won race 2 in 20.24 (Quarrie second in 20.61) >

I have seen in a previous thread that the '76 oly 200 winner Quarrie got injured in '72 Oly prelims. Was his great rival of the early 70s Steve Williams a contestant at the '72 Oly trials or was he injured? What was his 200 PR? I am almost certain that in one of those duels with Quarrie one or both of them went sub 20 secs.

Comment

and was not Borzov's time a nice even electronic 20 flat, not "20.2" as jlightn' said? Which was I think the fastest ever elec.-timed 200 not run at altitude?

Black's time was an impresive 20.2. He gave Borzov a run for his money until Borzov shifted ino overdrive. Borzov has the acceleration of a Volkswagon maintained with the power of a Lincoln Towne Car.

Comment

I have seen in a previous thread that the '76 oly 200 winner Quarrie got injured in '72 Oly prelims. Was his great rival of the early 70s Steve Williams a contestant at the '72 Oly trials or was he injured? What was his 200 PR? I am almost certain that in one of those duels with Quarrie one or both of them went sub 20 secs.
              Quarrie had already run a 19.86 in the 71 Pan Am Games held in Cali, Columbia. Apparently he was injured throughout 72.

Comment

I saw it on TV. Chuck Smith and Larry Burton seemed to hit peak form along with Larry Black drawing Lane 1. They seemed to lose form between the long period between the Trials and the Games themselves.

By the way, I didn't see Smith break the tape in the Trials because I was distracted by Larry Burton's unusual finishing "kick".

Comment

I have seen in a previous thread that the '76 oly 200 winner Quarrie got injured in '72 Oly prelims. Was his great rival of the early 70s Steve Williams a contestant at the '72 Oly trials or was he injured?

Steve Williams didnt hit he scene until 73 when he tied the exisitng 100 yrd dash record with a 9.1I believe he competed for San Diego State and was only freshman or sophomore.

Does anyone have info on this?
                  I also heard his fastest time 100 yard dash time in high school was an ordinary 9.9! But a month or two after graduating he ran a 9.4.

Comment

Steve Williams didnt
                    >hit he scene until 73 when he tied the exisitng 100 yrd dash record with a
                    >9.1I believe he competed for San Diego State and was only freshman or
                    >sophomore.

Does anyone have info on this?
                    I also heard his fastest time
                    >100 yard dash time in high school was an ordinary 9.9! But a month or two
                    >after graduating he ran a 9.4.

Williams hit the scene in '92, with a 45.2 440y at El Paso, where he was a frosh. He transferred to San Diego State after that, and left the 400 behind.

Comment

Good deal. Do you know if Williams actually ran in any 400 heats in the 72 Olympic trials?

Comment

>Good deal. Do you know if Williams actually ran in any 400 heats in the 72
                        >Olympic trials?

He was last in his heat of the 200. He'd run 9.3 and 20.3 earlier in the year, but was hurt by the time of the OT.

Comment

Comment

Do we want to penalize Peters and Zatopek for talking about the pace of the '52 OG marathon? Were they conspiring to make the pace faster? Were they trying to psyche each other out?

God, let's get on the subject of intentional ties and whether that's ethical. Where's Fred Wilt?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X