• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 72 Olympic Trials 200 meters dash

>>Burton was drawn
    >against Borzov, and he was in fact leading the race up to about 130m. Then
    >Borzov shifted up a gear, drew alongside Burton and casually passed some
    >remark, which had the effect of causing Burton to tighten-up and start to go
    >backwards. Borzov strolled through to take the heat. Since this is an
    >American Forum (predominantly), has any member had any contact with Burton
    >since that incident in Munich, and if so, did he ever reveal what Borzov had
    >said to cause him to lose form so quickly? I would love to know, but here in
    >Europe it was always shrouded in mystery.>>

Sounds like a story made up out of whole cloth since the final result was Borzov 20.74-Burton 20.78, which qualifies as a photofinish, hardly Borzov "strolling away."

Comment

Comment

Can't tell you what exact words were passed, but here's my description of the story from T&FN:

<<The semis demonstrated that Borzov has mastered the craft of sprinting as well as he dug into his bag of tricks and roduced a new wrinkle--the Dennis Johnson start. Long after the "fertig" command had been given he slowly creaked into the set position. Considering the long interval used by the starters anyway, the others must have had wiggly fingers by the time the gun went off....

... but the surprising leader coming off the turn was Burton. And 50m out it was still Burton with Borzov pulling even. As he moved alongside Burton, Borzov turned his head and appeared to make some comment and Burton mouthed back at him (shades of Tommie Smith and Ed Roberts in '68). Borzov's effortless glide carried him to an 0.04 margin at the tape.>>

So, assuming I got it right then, words went both ways, Borzov hardly causing Burton to tighten and the finish was a close one.

Subsequent issues of the magazine contain no commentary from Burton on the incident although Larry Black said overall, "I understand he thought all Americans were loudmouths and clowns, but in the races he turns out to be the clown."

Comment

Comment

Rob--

As was mine. It's an interesting topic in trying to decide where you draw the line.

I remember well the letters to Box 296 following the Bachelor-Shorter ties in the early '70s, and how that incensed many people, particularly Fred Wilt. The biggest determinant in one's veiw seemed to be age. The times, they were a-changin'.

Comment

Working...
            X