Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "At Home" Track & Field Facilities

I could tell a great story of building/using home-made track/field facilities in my own yard as a youngster, but will only do so ( and perhaps bore many ) after some others post their stories... as they've got to be out there, be they in vacant lots or in the backyard, etc.

So let's hear them, maybe.....

Re: At home training facilities

I'm sure every hurdler out there has "liberated" or shall we save "borrowed-on-a-permanent basis" a few hurdles for his/her back yard or dorm room. I had a few at home and at the local college that didn't have a track team but had a wonderful training field. I hid them behind the maintenance shed. I also found out that hurdles make excellent work benches for those home projects on weekends! ;-)

Comment

Re:

In my back yard in Athens and because it was very small we used to have standing long jump games... my personal record was at the most 1m. It was also on cement so after few runs to the emergency room the games were for ever forbidden by my mother.

Comment

Re: Re:

Growing up in India, ours like most families around us used earthen stove/ovens to cook using coal as the fuel. The coal ashes were very white and powdery. I used to make my own small track in the back yard and have my own track meet with the neighbor kids. Of course, I would be the only one with track shoes on, and all serious. My brother still makes fun of me for that!

Comment

I used to watch the Toronto Star Indoor Games on tv as a kid and loved the 50 yard dash - so I got a pair of REAL spikes and measured off a 50 yard stretch of grass across the street. It sloped so of course I ran downhill to go faster....

Comment

Re:

>I could tell a great story of building/using
            >home-made track/field facilities in my own yard
            >as a youngster, but will only do so ( and
            >perhaps bore many ) after some others post their
            >stories... as they've got to be out there, be
            >they in vacant lots or in the backyard,
            >etc.

So let's hear them, maybe.....

Ok, I'll keep it (relatively ) short:

when my brother and I were about 17-22 and competing in hs and college track, I dug out a high jump pit in the back yard, had a lumber yard deliver a ton of saw dust, built and implanted 2 vertical wooden poles with long nails pounded in every 2 inches, ripped up grass and pounded down the dirt for a take off area, weasled a long piece of bamboo from a rug store, and voila! we had a high jump pit.

Then we added an imbedded board in the ground about 15 feet from the pit and voila ! Long Jump facility ! Next step a crude SP ring carved out of the grass, purchase of a 12 lb. shot put, and lastly a measured 52 yards from the tree in the back of the yard to the edge of the front porch. Then with a stop watch, and a "scientifically" calculated point tables, nightly "quadrathlon" wars between us. Many nights of fun for about 4 years. That SP is now 40 years old but makes a great paper weight. Talk about a family heirloom !

Field PR's of 6'2", 20'/1/4", 40' 1/2", and who knows what for the dash.

There, I bored you but I sure had fun telling you.

Comment

Ah yes, in the back yard of our Southern California home (big ranch house in an orange grove with a long driveway) I used to invite several of my friends and put on our own track meet. My Dad helped me build a long jump pit and a high jump/pole vault pit. We actually pole vaulted with wooden dowels (that more than once snapped on us!), but were only jumping between 8 and 9 feet. Even had an 8 pound shot for that event...those were the good ole (1950's) days!

Comment

Lynn, we were in New York.... we could have had home and home annual dual meets with you !!!

Comment

Backyard

>>I could tell a great story of
                  >building/using
                  >home-made track/field facilities
                  >in my own yard
                  >as a youngster, but will only
                  >do so ( and
                  >perhaps bore many ) after some
                  >others post their
                  >stories... as they've got to
                  >be out there, be
                  >they in vacant lots or in the
                  >backyard,
                  >etc.

So let's hear them,
                  >maybe.....

Ok, I'll keep it (relatively )
                  >short:

when my brother and I were about 17-22
                  >and competing in hs and college track, I dug out
                  >a high jump pit in the back yard, had a lumber
                  >yard deliver a ton of saw dust, built and
                  >implanted 2 vertical wooden poles with long nails
                  >pounded in every 2 inches, ripped up grass and
                  >pounded down the dirt for a take off area,
                  >weasled a long piece of bamboo from a rug store,
                  >and voila! we had a high jump pit.

Then we
                  >added an imbedded board in the ground about 15
                  >feet from the pit and voila ! Long Jump facility
                  >! Next step a crude SP ring carved out of the
                  >grass, purchase of a 12 lb. shot put, and lastly
                  >a measured 52 yards from the tree in the back of
                  >the yard to the edge of the front porch. Then
                  >with a stop watch, and a "scientifically"
                  >calculated point tables, nightly "quadrathlon"
                  >wars between us. Many nights of fun for about 4
                  >years. That SP is now 40 years old but makes a
                  >great paper weight. Talk about a family heirloom
                  >!

Field PR's of 6'2", 20'/1/4", 40' 1/2",
                  >and who knows what for the dash.

There, I
                  >bored you but I sure had fun telling you.
                  >

Get a life, DWEEB!

Comment

Re: Backyard

re the prior posting:

Be careful. I know who you are and where you live.

Comment

Steve, don't worry about what Satch says...these kind of things (i.e. back yard track & field) ARE what make a life!!! In other words, sometimes we don't spend ENOUGH time in stress relieving, enjoyable activity.

Comment

I second that. Satch sounds like a prime candidate for prozac.

Comment

anyone with the time on his hands to copy Steve's whole posting and add his own criticisms very obviously needs a life of his own... at least Steve had fun writing, satch merely sounds bitter!

Comment

Just got back in the USA, so am a bit late on this. In junior high, my friends & I set up a track "complex" in their unfinished basement--we high jumped onto a couple mattresses, hurdled over chairs (as I recall) and marked out the track in chalk on the concrete floor. I later set up a hj pit in the backyard (landing on a pile of hay at first, then some scrounged pieces of foam). My father also made high hurdles out of scrap wood and I set them up in the street in front of the house. Since it's not fun falling on pavement, I learned to clear them pretty quickly. While this sounds like 1920s Appalachia, it was mid-1960s small-town Connecticut...

Comment

In high school in the 1960s I wanted to hurdle, but my league did not contest that event. My father had been a pretty fast hurdler in college in the 1930s. He said that he had built a few out of wood to hurdle in his backyard when he was in college. Being a pretty good carpenter he build me one. I never did get my technique down and when I went to college two of my teammates on the freshmen team had been champion high school hurdlers so I gave up on that idea and moved up to the 800. In the past 35 years I have taught scores of high school hurdlers how to hurdle.

Comment

Working...
                              X