Cosby on Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosby on Track & Field

I recently dug up an old Bill Cosby LP (Sports) which has his take on T&F (High Jump and Mile Relay) from his days in the Quantico Marines.

It still is as funny as I remember from the '70s.

Anyone know of other comedians who have so successfully captured the essence of competing or watching our sport?

Re: Cosby on Track & Field

Cosby was a great track runner and a great booster to the sport which is why I love the guy!
    There were two episodes of the COsby show that dealt with track. One was filmed at Manhattan College's Draddy GYm and then at the Meadowlands during the Olympic Inviational meet (RIP). the other was filmed at the Penn Relays 1986 where Bill showed up and hung out with all the runners. I remember seeing him there..Iw as in High school arunning. He also bailed the meet out of financial problems that year as well. Teh dialogue in the Cosby Show about running was the ost hysterical discourse on runnign track ever....I think the album probably had most of it like "The Bear gave me a piano,,and a refrigerator..."

Comment

That Penn Relays thing was pretty cool. He was in a ficticious 4x400 that they filmed right during the real thing . . . the script called for Larry James, who was on the other team, to fake a hamstring pull which would give Cosby (who was anchoring) a big lead. Then as Cosby cruised around, Valerie Brisco caught him on the second curve.

This of course begs the question, did Valerie Brisco run seriously after that ? . . . .

The sad part is that if my memory serves me the two teams they made were the Elliott All-Stars and the Tuppeny All-Stars - - Tupp is missed quite a bit.

Comment

Cos had real athletes on the Penn Relays Masters Event episode. His buddy Ira Davis was a former Boys Club basketball rival. Davis was a two-time U.S. outdoor triple jump champ in the late 1950's.

Cosby was a good athlete,physically mature having entered college at 23 after a tour in the U.S. Navy. A 6 foot, 200 pounder, he threw the discus and high jumped for the Owls. He would jump 6'4" in meets, no IC4A champ, but a versatile letterman. As a running back, he led Temple in rushing in a game against Gettysburg College. More importantly, he loved track and field, memorialized team woes on albums,celebrated his peers on his sitcom, and patronizes the sport.

Bijan

Comment

I had always heard that Bill ran the 400 meters in about 48 secs which is pretty impressive as it was probably run on cinders at the time. This was just information kicked around my HS and college locker room though.

Comment

Don't know if Cosby really ran 48, but his description of the "bear" of rigging during the final straight of a 400 is hilarious.

Comment

I don't know how many of you are aware of Cosby's generosity towards the University of Nevada Reno's track program. He bought the indoor track that had once been in New Orleans, and donated it to the University.

Comment

I seem to recall Cosby running some relay event on tv about 25 years ago, maybe it was some ITA event. Anyone remember this?

Comment

Working...
                X