Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice T&F fan with a question

Hello everyone. New to this, but desperately need help for a speech a friend is doing. Just started on research...so maybe can give me some starting points...
    Question: I need to find an example of a runner (male or female, any type of race-marathon, sprint, hurdles, etc) in a race of some significance, who dropped-out or in some way could not finish the race. The clincher though, is an example of someone who almost finished...

Any details about the race (date, location, prize) and the runner would be greatly appreciated. I trust I've come to the best place possible....Thanks a bunch for anyone that can help.

Re: Novice T&F fan with a question

Not quite sure what you're after, but the names Jim Peters and Dorando Pietri come to mind.

Comment

Devers in Barcelona, El G in Atlanta.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Chambers and MLF Commonwealth Games 2002

Comment

Well, there's no shortage of examples here. One of many stories that you might find helpful is Vicki Huber's. At the age of 21, Villanova's Vicki Huber finished 6th at the '88 Olympics in the 3000m and her future appeared bright. Injuries and a number of persoanl problems derailed her bright future. Seven years later- after a failed marriage and with toddler in tow and completely out of shape, Vicki courageously moved to Eugene, Oregon to make one last run at the '96 Games. Her comeback went well and she was in a solid position to make the '96 team in the 5000m. Over 1/2 way through the race it appeared she would accomplish her goal. Suddenly and without warning, however, she suffered a panic attack and simply stepped off the track and quit the race. Devestated and humiliated, she wanted only to pack up her things and go home. Fortunately her coach, Dick Brown, was there to guide her decision. He encouraged her to run the 1500m two days later- a race she had qualified for but had little shot of making the team in.
          The 1500m final unfolded perfectly for her and with 300m to go she took off and stole the 3rd Olympic spot. Great race, great story. An Olympic medal eluded Vicki Huber, but she remains one of the most talented American distance runners in history.

Comment

>Devers in Barcelona, El G in Atlanta.

Derek Redmond finished his 400m Semi-final at the Barcelona 1992 OG with his father by his side after he dramatically torn his hamstring.
            But no time was recorded for him, as he left his lane.

From David Walenchinsky's book; The compleet book of the Olypmics '2000 Edition':

'An interesting fact is that Hasely Crawford (who had ealier won the Men's 100m at the same Olympic Games), whom the official report lists as not finishing (DNF), but a Califnornian Track fan named Pitch Johnson noted that Crawford had never left his lane until after he had jogged past the finish line, so he did finished the
            race, albeit in a arther unusual time of 1m:19.60s!'

Comment

"Derek Redmond finished his 400m Semi-final at the Barcelona 1992 OG with his father by his side after he dramatically torn his hamstring.
              But no time was recorded for him, as he left his lane."

The Redmond race was one of the greatest moments in track and field history.

Comment

>"Derek Redmond finished his 400m Semi-final at
                >the Barcelona 1992 OG with his father by his side
                >after he dramatically torn his hamstring.
                But no
                >time was recorded for him, as he left his
                >lane."

The Redmond race was one of the
                >greatest moments in track and field history.

Off topic but Derek also made one of the funniest quotes about Linford Christie, "I think he's the most balanced sprinter in the world. He's got chips on both shoulders"!

Comment

In the 1991 Leadville Trail 100 mile Ultra-Marathon (a 100 mile race through the mountains of Colorado) in 2001, Chad Ricklefs, the defending champion, had fended off challenges from some of the best Ultra runners in the world all day and had a fairly comfortable lead when at mile 95 his body staged a mutany and he was unable to continue. (just 5 miles from the finish in a 100 mile race)

At that point Chad was on course record pace and had run one of the best Ultra Races of his life. But when his body gave out there was nothing he could do, he simply could not continue.

Moral of the story, "it aint over till its over."

Chad came back to win the race again in 2002.

Comment

Correction. The race was in 2001 not 1991.

Comment

Dorando Pietri - hands (and body) down

Comment

Bob Soth.

(But I agree that Pietri is the obvious best answer.)

Comment

<Dorando Pietri - hands (and body) down>

<(But I agree that Pietri is the obvious best answer.) >

For an all out effort, above and beyond the call of duty, I suggest Jim Peters (1954 - BCG). Only reason I can see to prefer Pietri is if OG takes preceedence over BCG.

Comment

>"Derek Redmond finished his 400m Semi-final at
                            >the Barcelona 1992 OG with his father by his side
                            >after he dramatically torn his hamstring.
                            But no
                            >time was recorded for him, as he left his
                            >lane."

The Redmond race was one of the
                            >greatest moments in track and field history.

Hmmm, let's not get crazy here. That was a touching moment, but I wouldn't call it one of the greatest. BTW, Redmond was disqualified BECAUSE of his father coming to his aid. Had his father not touched him and physically helped him, he would have been given a finish time. Now THAT would have been great.

Comment

"Dorando PIETRI
                              The Man Who Became Famous For Not Winning"

http://www.olympic.org/uk/athletes/hero ... i_id=56207

Comment

Working...
                              X