Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All comers meets.

I grew up with so called all comers meets in Southern California in the late 1950's.Some of my biggest thrills as a youthful track nut were seeing the likes of Parry O'Brien, Dave Davis, Mal Robertson et al. Different stars would show up at different times but it seemed that Parry O'Brien was always there. And so was the well known T&FN photographer, Don Windom (sp?). I got to chat with O'Brien and Don let me view his sachel full of track & field photos. What a feast!! Any body else out there have such happy memories? (The meets I attended were mostly at a high school (Arroyo?) in El Monte, CA.)

Re: All comers meets.

back in the early 60's there used to be some low key all comers meets on weekday nights at Van Cortlandt Park in New York City. It was mentioned on this board about 6 months ago, but one night some banker from Los Angeles was in NY on business and someone told him of this rinky dink all comers meet uptown in the Bronx. So he went up there, borrowed some shorts and shoes, strolled out on the field, and easily won.

His name ? Parry O'Brien !!

And those meets were fun for all. Used to run wierd distances, and based on stated PR's by the competitors, runners were given handicaps at the start, such as 2 yards, etc.

Comment

Working...
    X