Clear All

• Was Jeff PHILIPS the last top US 100m white sprinter

Ranked fifth in the 1981 and 1982 US 100m lists,
    among those who beat Carl LEWIS, I wonder if
    this shooting star was not the real last white
    US 100m star.
    Do you think it is the case?

Re: Was Jeff PHILIPS the last top US 100m white spri

Why does race have to matter? The board guidelines specify no racist comments and although making the distinction is not necessarily racist in the cultural sense (and I am NOT accusing you of racism), the very definition of racism is making a distinction by skin color.

Comment

Bonjour tn,
      Sorry that you felt it this way...
      I do have African roots.
      Hopefully you won't feel offended by my question.
      Respect.

Comment

Do long sprints count? If yes, Little was pretty decent. A few 400/400H athletes as well.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

white sprinter

Joey Woody just finished 2nd in the worlds in the 400h

Comment

white sprinter

Joey Woody just finished 2nd in the worlds in the 400h

Comment

If "top" means on world stage, it was Dave Sime, 1960. Indoors, Darel Newman '65? No world contenders (in championships) since then (60-200m)
              ..? (Except Little, indoors) It may take a Michael Jackson-style crossover to see a white American on sprint podium again.

Comment

Not that race maters what-so-ever, but to simply set the record straight. Jeff Phillips has/had one white parent and one black parent.

Comment

Not that race maters what-so-ever, but to simply set the record straight. Jeff Phillips has/had one white parent and one black parent.<<

If race/ancestry didn't matter, it wouldn't correlate so well with outcomes in so many areas of life. But it DOES.

Comment

Yeah, Phillips dad is black. He even said - in a Track and Field News interview, that that was probably where his sprint talent came from. Blacks have vastly higher numbers of individuals with the physiological make up to be world class sprinters. Just as whites have vastly higher numbers of individuals suited for strength events. And of course, there are events that are a crapshoot, where it seems to make not all that much difference, the 800, 1500, HJ, etc. But some racial/genetic factors are apparent.

Comment

I saw him run at the 1982 Paris meeting and
                      remind of a powerful, curly-haired, wearing
                      a moustache, athlete.
                      I was just a young kid and just didn't know
                      he was a metis... Which is making my question
                      incoherent.

Comment

"Blacks have vastly higher numbers of individuals with the physiological make up to be world class sprinters. Just as whites have vastly higher numbers of individuals suited for strength events. And of course, there are events that are a crapshoot, where it seems to make not all that much difference, the 800, 1500, HJ, etc."

You should probably give references when you make statements like these. And you should define what you mean by black and white.

Comment

I still don't know why Jeff Phillips did'nt represent the U.S. in the 82 World Cup. He won the AAU championhips that year overtaking Mel Lattany at the tape winning in 20.39. However, Lattany was the sole U.S. runner in the World Cup that year.

Comment

I still don't know why Jeff Phillips did'nt represent the U.S. in the 82 World Cup. He won the AAU championhips that year overtaking Mel Lattany at the tape winning in 20.39. However, Lattany was the sole U.S. runner in the World Cup that year.

My mistake it was 1981.

Comment

I remember him he sort of resembled Dan Obrien. He just disappeared quickly. (I guess he blewout some muscle and could never get back his top end speed)

Comment

Working...
                              X