Jim Plunkett
    John Elway
    Tiger Woods
    John McEnroe

or could it be . . . Gabe?!

I'll go with Mathias.

Comment

Re: Stanfords greatest T&F athlete

I'd go with James Lofton, great athlete in multiple sports.

Comment

shoot me if you will, but I'll go with Tiger Woods by a clear margin over Mathias. Mathias won the OG's in the Decathlon against far less high level competition than athletes today, particularly in 1948. A great athlete for sure but he won twice in a "weak" event.

Comment

I'd swear that Tiger Woods, Jim Plunkett, John Elway, and John McEnroe never competed in track and field (the title of this posting). Mathias rates over Lofton (although you could narrow the gap because much of what Mathias accomplished was out of collegiate competition). How about Don Kardong, 4th @ Montreal, for top 5? And Chryste Gaines is up there, too.

Comment

Regina Jacobs.

Comment

>I'd swear that Tiger Woods, Jim Plunkett, John Elway, and John McEnroe never
              >er competed in track and field (the title of this posting).

And since this is on the history board, let's expand a bit beyond contemporaries like Gaines and Jacobs. And let's add the caveat that we're talking about undergrad performances, not those by alumni.

Of the people mentioned so far, Mathias is far and away the greatest. But I think he falls behind at least one, and maybe two earlier greats: Ben Eastman and John Lyman. (time for billthedog to chim in!)

Comment

>Regina Jacobs.

women and alumni count, Satch he dig those old cats like L arry QUESTAD

Comment

Stanfords greatest T&F athlete

Mathias and Lofton were arguably the school's best two track and field athletes and perhaps overall athletes. Off topic, Stanford QB John Brodie accomplished a great deal in the pre-EPSN NFL, and was quite the golfer.

Comment

Many Cardinal gridders were fine trackmen. Witness this sprint relay team:

Ken Margerum,James Lofton, Darrin Nelson and Gordon Banks set the Cardinal record in the 4x100 relay (39.7 in 1978). Margerum, Nelson and Lofton played in the NFL, if not Banks.

Bijan

Comment

doh! I did kinda miss that whole T&F thing, didn't I? There goes the mystique of a Stanford education.

Tafnut
                      The Farm '73

Comment

"Ken Margerum,James Lofton, Darrin Nelson and Gordon Banks set the Cardinal record in the 4x100 relay (39.7 in 1978)"
                        ------
                        A Stanford grad among board alumni may be able to confirm that the school's relay team set a world record in 4x220 yards about 1938-39. Regrettably, World War II broke out and there were no Olympic Games between 1936 and 1948; so those Stanford men never got a chance for Olympic achievements.

I can now recall only two of that foursome: Stan Hiserman and Payton Jordan. Hiserman became coach at Univ. of Idaho and, later, Univ. of Washington. Jordan coached at Occidental College and then Stanford where he introduced some real showmanship to conducting meets.

The last I heard both (now in their 80s) were still alive. Decades after that relay Jordan returned to become a world-class "veterans" competitor.

Comment

>doh! I did kinda miss that whole T&F thing, didn't I? There goes the mystique
                          >of a Stanford education.

Tafnut
                          The Farm '73

OK tafnut here's an easy one for you.... quick without looking name the 4 guys on Stanford's 440 relay team that set a WR back in the 60's.

Let's give the Stanford alum first crack at this one....

Comment

>>doh! I did kinda miss that whole T&F thing, didn't I? There goes the
                            >mystique
                            >of a Stanford education.

Tafnut
                            The Farm '73

OK tafnut
                            >here's an easy one for you.... quick without looking name the 4 guys on
                            >Stanford's 440 relay team that set a WR back in the 60's.

Let's give
                            >the Stanford alum first crack at this one....

and Tafnut here is one more...

what Stanford athlete set a HS record in the DT in about 1962 ? And I think he then won an NCAA DT title while at Stanford.

Only reason I post this is that he lived in my neighborhood in suburban New York from age 8 to age 11, a real good friend, one year younger than I... a strong husky little kid. Then he moved to some place far, far away called.... "California."

When I started seeing his name in T&FN 6, 7 years later, I thought, boy could we have used him on our team back here in New York !

But I've never seen or talked to him since he moved away at age 11.

Comment

Bob

Bob Steoker discus

s

Comment

Working...
                              X