Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could _______________ have been a great decathlete?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could _______________ have been a great decathlete?

computer
    not my best event.What I wanted to add to OJ comment,no javelin jokes.Remember him hurdling those chairs in Avis ad?

Comment

Edwin Moses had a combination of speed, endurance, hurdling ability,and was rarely injured. <<

Edwin could have run very good times at the 100, 400, 110H, could have long jumped well, high jumped well, run a halfway decent 1500...not sure about the other events...

Comment

Lets add Janis Lusis which is also a great javelin thrower.

Comment

>computer
          not my best event.What I wanted to add to OJ comment,no javelin
          >jokes.Remember him hurdling those chairs in Avis ad?

yeh I kow it was HERTZ

Comment

"Carlton Lewis had absolutely no chance at being an 8500+ decathlete. He was like many sprinters...one dimensional."

Kurt you mentioned on another thread that the top throwers can long jump between 6.50 and 7 meters, and high jump up to 2 meters. Presumably they could run a decent-for-a-decathlete 100. Hurdles? 400? Pole vault? The question is, could any of these guys make great decathletes?

Comment

"Carlton Lewis had absolutely no chance at being an 8500+ decathlete. He was like many sprinters...one dimensional."

Kurt you mentioned on another thread that the top throwers can long jump between 6.50 and 7 meters, and high jump up to 2 meters. Presumably they could run a decent-for-a-decathlete 100. Hurdles? 400? Pole vault? The question is, could any of these guys make great decathletes?

Comment

you are same shit machanizm or robot as your computer is too.

>>computer
                not my best event.What I wanted to add to OJ comment,no
                >javelin
                >jokes.Remember him hurdling those chairs in Avis ad?

yeh I kow it
                >was HERTZ

Comment

Serena Williams, Ernie Davis,maybe Ollie Matson.

In the 1970's t.v. series "The Superstars", most of the athletes, albeit untrained in the event, displayed very poor form clearing the hurdles.

When one thinks of the decathlon high jump, a few outfielders who have really climbed the o.f. walls to rob batters of home runs come to mind.

Bijan C. Bayne

Comment

Serena Williams, Ernie Davis,maybe Ollie Matson.

Venus Williams definitly has the frame of a runner, But I'm not sure how well she would handle the throwing events.

Comment

"Question I pose often is does Jackie belong in Cooperstown? I think he is one of the greatest all around athletes of all time but I think he only played 11 years in the big leagues for the above reasons and his career stats are not impressive unless you took into account the environment he was playing in (ie segregated, racist baseball world)"

Absolutly! Jackie was a class act and a great player in an era where he went through pressures we can never understand. How good was he? Rookie of the Year in '47, MVP in 49', set N.L. mark for fielding at second base and double plays in 51', and on and on. On the back of my 1954 Jackie Robinson baseball card it notes:

"He is also known as the head of the National Broadcasting Co.'s Community activities, where he helps youngsters of all creeds"

Also, he credited his teammates (especially Pee Wee Reese, I believe?) for pushing him to carry on when he wanted to quit.

Comment

Michael Lewis:

I can think of several throwers that could've been 8000pt decathletes had they made the switch or stuck with the decathlon. Janis Lusis WAS world ranked in the decathlon as a young man. Bob Roggy was I believe a 14' vaulter in his days as a yute. Brian Oldfield was very quick and known for his short dash races against world class women on the ITA tour. The biggest determining factor, all others being equal, is basic inate quickness of movement. If your nervous system doesn't operate quicker than the average dude ( and I sure am average ), then it's going to be very difficult if not impossible to reach the upper echelon. Nine of the ten events DEMAND quickness of movement as their primary determinant in success. The second primary factor that I have observed is basic coordination skills. I've known lots of sprinters that can run like the wind, but they can't spin around without getting a bit dizzy. A person HAS to have spatial awareness in order to be able to learn the field events enough to apply their already inherent speed through the proper vectors. The multi-events are like no other event. I love the multi-events most of all because of what they encompass. A person is tasked to the ultimate in trying to bring about a balance between technique, speed, stamina, and toughness within their own unique circumstances. It IS the crucible of all sports, IMHO, in testing an athlete's abilities and desire.

Just my 2 cents.

Kurt

Comment

Lawrence Johnson used to do the Decathlon. I think he could be pretty decent if he gave it a shot. Maybe more than pretty decent.
                          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

How about Michael Jordan, La Var Arrington, Renaldo Nehemiah, and Lawrence Taylor?

Comment

I think Ralph Boston could have been a great decathlete. Worlds best Long Jumper for about 8 years. He was ranked 5th in the world in the 110h in '61, ran 13.7. In the H.J. he had 6'9' when the w.rec. was 7'2" and he had a 7ft practice jump. He competed in the Jav and P.V. in conference meets. I would assume he could run a 10.4 100m.
                              Somebody brought up Lusis. Absolutely, he had over 7300 in the Deca and was a terrific athlete.
                              How about Russ Francis the former T.E. for I believe the Patriots. I remember him as an enormous talent who was a Javelin thrower.

Comment

I nominate former NBA player Lonnie Shelton, who won Calif State SP-DT in mid-70s. He also ran 9.9y, 21.9y (curve), 14.2 (39"), high-jumped 6'5", long-jumped 22+, and TJ 47-9 (albeit with no wind gauge) while at Foothill HS in Bakersfield; he competed in those events only in dual meets, concentrating on the two weights in the invitational and championship meets.
                                Shelton was also an excellent football player, good enough to receive a scholarship offer from U.S.C. back when that really meant something (it's starting to again). Actually, BB was his 3rd best sport in high school, but he went that route at Oregon State under (Ralph???) Miller after battling the 2 Pondexter brothers (themselves HS legends) to a standstill in the Sectional playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X