Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could _______________ have been a great decathlete?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could _______________ have been a great decathlete?

David Thompson competed in the triple jump at N.C. State. I have tried to confirm an ACC title in the event on his part.

Bijan C. Bayne

Comment

<<Ultrarunner:

I like your sense of humor

Kurt>>

Ouch.

Comment

A great athlete does not equate to being a great decathlete.

While a great decathlete does equate to being a great athlete

Comment

Best known as an actor, the late Woody Strode competed in Track for U.C.L.A. in the '30s. He also played pro football and was a wrestler. About the time the the movie about the Congolese P. Lamumba came out which he starred in, there was an article in the N.Y. Times entertainment section, where he speculated on what he might have been able to do in the decathalon in '36, and the impact it might have had if a black man had been able to win in Berlin. Speaking of actors, does anyone know if the actor Roscoe Lee Browne is the same as the early '50s half miler?

Comment

Read this thread from a few months back for some related commentary (including Woody Strode's incredible State Meet double)

Comment

Can anyone give details as to what actually did happen with Kingdom's flirtation with the Dec.? I thought he had legit potential. Also, another football consideration would be Rod Woodson. Tremendous vetical leap, good strength, and a 13.2-13.3 hurdler at Purdue.

Comment

Based upon the way in which he's put together, his size, speed, endurance and vertical leap, that current English international soccer fullback Sol Campbell could've been a decathalete.

Comment

Yes, Roscoe Lee Browne is the halfmiler.

Comment

In the 1970's t.v. series
                    >"The Superstars", most of the athletes, albeit untrained in the event,
                    >displayed very poor form clearing the hurdles.

Largely because the hurdles were too close together. Many of the world class hurdlers (Guy Drut, Renaldo Nehimiah, Roger Kingdom) often stumbled at the hurdles.

Comment

I remember reading that Roger Kingdom was going to try a
                      >decathlon but his inability to provide a decent effort at discus prevented him
                      >from going forward. Anyone remember this or is it complete fiction?

I believe the pole vault foiled Kingdom. I think he was a state high school discus champ

Comment

I did not read all of the postings, but I am nominating pro football hall of famer James Lofton. Even better...I am nominating him when he was 40 years old (7 years ago) and still running times like 11.00, 22.9, 49.5, 1:22, and long jumping over 24' at all-comers and masters track meets in Dallas, TX.

Comment

Lofton is too willowly to be a factor in the strength events....

Comment

>Lofton is too willowly to be a factor in the strength events....

I disagree...compare his dimensions to those of the most recent world champion. Lofton = 6'2" 205 and Papas = 6'5" 205. FYI - James has an NFL upper body, not a soccer or basketball one.

Comment

Lofton Still runs the 400 in 51.0 at 45+ years of age. He Shows up at those masters meets ready to roll. Ignore the gray hairs on the roof and he still has that NFL world class look about him.

Comment

Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins, would be a decent decathlete IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X