Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could _______________ have been a great decathlete?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SouthsideStevie
    replied
    Re: Could _______________ have been a great decathlete?

>David Thompson competed in the triple jump at N.C. State. I have tried to
    >confirm an ACC title in the event on his part.

Bijan C. Bayne

I thought I remembered him placing highly or winning the ACC triple jump also, but in his bio he just mentions his high school marks

"My favorite track events were those in which I could utilize my superior jumping ability, including the high jump (my best effort was 6'3"), the broad jump (22'8"), and triple jump (45'6"). I was fast, too, so the mile relay was another preferred event."

He does mention competing in track during 1972 season and needing to rest from both BB and T&F as reasons for not trying out for Olympic BB team...

Leave a comment:

• SouthsideStevie
    replied

>I remember reading that Roger Kingdom was going to try a
    >decathlon but his
    >inability to provide a decent effort at discus prevented him
    >from going
    >forward. Anyone remember this or is it complete fiction?

Complete
    >fiction...on the discus part. Roger Kingdom was a great discus thrower in high
    >school (I think he might even have been a state champion), which is why a lot
    >of people said he shoul've/could've been a great decathlete. He was big
    >(muscular) for a 110mHH'er, which is why he could've excelled in the throws and
    >p.vault, the events that would most likely hold back most pure sprinters.

Roger was definitely a state champion in Georgia in the discus, as well as the high hurdles. I "think" he also won the high jump for a triple, but I have to access my buried track records (in storage). I want to say he threw the high school implement around 160 feet at the time...

While mentioning possible others who would have been great at the decathalon I want to throw out Guy Drut's name. Although his smoking may have precluded him from doing a great 1500 meter...I think the one time he tried he didn't finish.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

If you're looking at 400/800 types, how about Alberto Juantorena? Who knows what El Caballo could have done had he ever tried to do it? If you think that is far fetched, consider the fact that his son, Alberto Juantorena, Jr., has met the Olympic B standard this year and could compete in the decathlon in Athens.

Leave a comment:

• gwprescott
    replied

Jarmila Kratochvílová. I know, "she" is a "woman" so maybe the heptathlon, but the way she was built I bet she could give it a run in the deca! Besides holding the 800 record for over 20 years, she kicked butt in the 400, and goodness knows one look at her you could tell she had some upper body strength!

Leave a comment:

• dhanesworth
    replied

Tommy Skipper- 10.5 100M, 215-220' JT, 570 PV. He won the Pac10 title this year with probably very little training. He has good size, speed, and can throw the javelin. I fear he will never do any serous decathlons because he is an elite level vaulter.

Leave a comment:

• twittering debutante
    replied

Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins, would be a decent decathlete IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• sprinta
    replied

Lofton Still runs the 400 in 51.0 at 45+ years of age. He Shows up at those masters meets ready to roll. Ignore the gray hairs on the roof and he still has that NFL world class look about him.

Leave a comment:

• Answer Giver
    replied

>Lofton is too willowly to be a factor in the strength events....

I disagree...compare his dimensions to those of the most recent world champion. Lofton = 6'2" 205 and Papas = 6'5" 205. FYI - James has an NFL upper body, not a soccer or basketball one.

Leave a comment:

• Track fan
    replied

Lofton is too willowly to be a factor in the strength events....

Leave a comment:

• Answer Giver
    replied

I did not read all of the postings, but I am nominating pro football hall of famer James Lofton. Even better...I am nominating him when he was 40 years old (7 years ago) and still running times like 11.00, 22.9, 49.5, 1:22, and long jumping over 24' at all-comers and masters track meets in Dallas, TX.

Leave a comment:

• Slowrunner
    replied

I remember reading that Roger Kingdom was going to try a
    >decathlon but his inability to provide a decent effort at discus prevented him
    >from going forward. Anyone remember this or is it complete fiction?

I believe the pole vault foiled Kingdom. I think he was a state high school discus champ

Leave a comment:

• Slowrunner
    replied

In the 1970's t.v. series
    >"The Superstars", most of the athletes, albeit untrained in the event,
    >displayed very poor form clearing the hurdles.

Largely because the hurdles were too close together. Many of the world class hurdlers (Guy Drut, Renaldo Nehimiah, Roger Kingdom) often stumbled at the hurdles.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Yes, Roscoe Lee Browne is the halfmiler.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied

Based upon the way in which he's put together, his size, speed, endurance and vertical leap, that current English international soccer fullback Sol Campbell could've been a decathalete.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye II
    replied

Can anyone give details as to what actually did happen with Kingdom's flirtation with the Dec.? I thought he had legit potential. Also, another football consideration would be Rod Woodson. Tremendous vetical leap, good strength, and a 13.2-13.3 hurdler at Purdue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X