Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Francis trivia

Doubt that anyone gives a damn, but without cheating - meaning by anyone giving an answer - what was Francis' 100 PR?

Re: Charlie Francis trivia

We were both on the Stanford team in '71 when he ran a 10.1. You don't even want to know what I ran in the 440H.

Comment

That would be the ultimate trivia question: what time did I run in the Stanford-Cal Big Meet 120H in 1971? There's no way that it could be recorded anywhere. Rick Tipton won in something like 13.7. How may seconds behind was I? Whole integer answers only please :-)
      1 is incorrect, and don't insult me with 3! I did hit a hurdle pretty hard, though. :-(

Comment

>We were both on the Stanford team in '71 when he ran a 10.1. You don't even
        >want to know what I ran in the 440H.

If that is accurate and verifiable then he is missing from the Canuck rankings. I never heard that they purged his times but maybe they did.

Comment

>We were both on the Stanford team in '71 when he ran a 10.1. You don't even
          >want to know what I ran in the 440H.

So tafnut, you must be Robert Martin's vintage. He was a sprinter at Oregon around that time and competed with Charlie in Canada.

Comment

To round out this trivia section....NO, I am not related to Charlie

Kurt

Comment

hell you might even remember Garry triple jumping for Wazzooooooooo! I've heard they used the 10 Commandments as take-off boards back then. Is that true?

Comment

"If that is accurate and verifiable then he is missing from the Canuck rankings. I never heard that they purged his times but maybe they did."

http://w1.196.telia.com/~u19603668/atb-m01.htm

I don't know if they have MJD. Will check on it meantime he still appears in some very deep lists, like the one linked above.

Comment

<<To round out this trivia section....NO, I am not related to Charlie

Kurt>>

You'd make odd brothers, since you seem to have a lot more integrity.

Comment

>"If that is accurate and verifiable then he is missing from the Canuck
                    >rankings. I never heard that they purged his times but maybe they did."

>http://w1.196.telia.com/~u19603668/atb-m01.htm

I don't know if they have
                    >MJD. Will check on it meantime he still appears in some very deep lists, like
                    >the one linked above.

It's not there because it is hand timed.

Comment

10.1h Charles Francis CAN 481013 1 Richmond 710625

MJD did you mean it's not in the Canadian lists because it's hand timed? It is listed in the list I linked, copied above.

Comment

>10.1h Charles Francis CAN 481013 1 Richmond 710625

MJD did you mean it's
                        >not in the Canadian lists because it's hand timed? It is listed in the list I
                        >linked, copied above.

Yeah I saw that and that is what I meant.

Comment

You've probably seen the Athletics Canada list (pdf downloadable) which goes 43 deep and ends at - gasp! - 10.39. OK, so we're only 30 million. So no Charlie but maybe just cuz only auto times. His best auto time, anyone?

Comment

According to Jean-Claude Patinaud in "100m temps automatiques, 1932-1996":

Charlie Francis best auto-times were
                            10.53 Cali (PanAm Games final) 01Aug1971 w+0.0
                            10.36 Cali (PanAm Games sf) 01Aug1971 w+4.2

Comment

><<To round out this trivia section....NO, I am not related to Charlie
                              >

Kurt>>

You'd make odd brothers, since you seem to have a lot more integrity.>>

Not to denigrate Kurt in any way, but allow me to posit that the one thing that Charlie Francis had was integrity. He never hesitated to tell it like it was and laid it all out on the line for the Dubin Inquiry.

Comment

Working...
                              X