Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Track record 40 years later

Steve, I think it's a moot point. Per is right, the IAAF will never agree (and rightly so). Congrats on your award!

Comment

>Does anyone know just what was presented to the Records Committe, and then in turn their rationale
      for approval ? And/or are we getting ahead of ourselves here, or has it actually been fully approved ?!<

Friends of mine who were at the USATF Convention tell me that the Records Committee unanimously rejected this application. But the final say on records is with the various sport committes. The Men's Track and Field Committee voted to accept it and so it stands approved. Absurd, of course. Shows just how stupid USATF can be. Now we'll find out how stupid the IAAF can be, but I agree with everyone else who's posted on this--it will be a non-starter with them.

Comment

now let me get this straight.... USATF has a Records Committee that rejected it...; then the "higher up" (?!) T & F Committee approved it over their heads ??!! I know one thing... if I had been on that Records Committee I would have immediately resigned as they all should. What a laughingstock organization.

Comment

Correct. The REAL issue here is not a 40-year old maybe/possibly/mighthavebeen record--it's the official process of decision-making that's led to this absurd situation. What happened and who made this decision?

Comment

This a strange one. Over the last 5 years I've received a number of letters from Dr Shinnick, who was clearly very upset about not having his 27'4" approved. I quoted him the "T&F News" report on the Modesto meeting which also appears in an earlier post on this subject, but he continued to assert that his mark was ok. I kept being reminded of the legend of King Canute attempting to prevent the tide coming in by use of willpower.
            When Shinnick appeared at Modeto he had a PR of 25'5 1/2 - which he then beat by 1'10 1/2 - truly a Beamonesque improvement (when he jumped his 29'2 1/2" Beamon improved by....1'10 1/2 !!). Many observers of Beamon's jump reckoned that the 2.0 wind reading was very generous, while there was no reading for Shinnick. It may be that Shinnick's jump was wind legal, but we'll never know for certain. What is certain is that Don Potts reported that there was excessive wind in races just before and just after the 27'4", and that, together with no wind reading should perpetually relegate Shinnick's mark to being an interesting footnote to track and field history

Comment

- As a member of the Records Committee, it was indeed rejected unanimously after over an hour of presentation and discussion
              - The rule at the time - as now - did require measurement of the wind (though pre 1930's or so there was a provision for signed affidavits - but irrelevant in this case)
              - Blame the Men's TF Committee, not the entire organization for being 'stupid'
              - I didn't get to those meetings but the Men's TF Committee was the group that overturned it. It will be interesting to hear a report on how that was presented.

Steve Vaitones

>>Does anyone know just what was presented to the Records Committe, and then in
              >turn their rationale
              for approval ? And/or are we getting ahead of ourselves
              >here, or has it actually been fully approved ?!<

Friends of mine who were at
              >the USATF Convention tell me that the Records Committee unanimously rejected
              >this application. But the final say on records is with the various sport
              >committes. The Men's Track and Field Committee voted to accept it and so it
              >stands approved. Absurd, of course. Shows just how stupid USATF can be. Now
              >we'll find out how stupid the IAAF can be, but I agree with everyone else who's
              >posted on this--it will be a non-starter with them.

Comment

Working...
              X