Clear All

Re: Your favourite all-time athlete?

Herb Elliott. There's still a mystique.

Comment

jeff hartwig for his perseverence

Comment

Dragila, that's why I bought the FOT ticket for the 18th. Will still have the BIG BINOCULARS. Hell I feel like a dirty old man

Comment

I was going to say Maria Sharapova but I'm sure it's just a passing fancy --

Comment

Wow, nobody has said Michael Johnson. 42 relay splits. 43.18 and 19.32. And a 10.08 (in his college days) to boot (don't quote me on the 10.08, but I am about 85% sure its accurate) Ridiculous Relay Splits (42 and low 18 in the 4X200)and ran 43 seconds so often that we thumbed our nose at people who had a PR of 44+. Not to mention that 200/400 double (no disrespect to Marie Jose Perec). To me, the 19.32 is the most untouchable record at any level in Track and Field. (Followed by Flo Jo's 10.49, Roy Martins 20.13)

Comment

Larry BIRD

Comment

Jerry Rice...

Comment

Male a tie...Ray Ewry, Velery Brumel
                  Female...Babe Didrickson

Comment

As a kid growing up, it was Mickey Mantle. The NY Yankees of the 1950s and early 1960s had quite a life and I never realized how wild they really were until much later.

Nobody has mentioned the Chairman of the Boards, Eamonn Coghlan. I've always liked him and the way he dominated the indoor races.

For track women, it is JJK in a heartbeat. She has always been a wonderful spokesperson for asthmatics (something I can identify with) and always genuine and self-effacing. Jon's interview with her a few weeks ago was just excellent. Her personality transcends her athletic achievements.

Comment

Since it has to be one: Daley Thompson. In my dictionary, his picture illustrates "tough competitor".

Satch: Those guys don't need your help to kick butt. In fact, Brown probably could still do it without the others. IMHO, the best running back ever, at any level. Also an AA lacrosse player. It might be urban legend, but I understand that some hard core fans still consider him the greatest ever.

If I could pick a 2nd, JJK.

I made up the dictionary thing :-)!

Comment

Daley Thompson. For sheer champion quality, how many athletes could throw a PR in their final discus throw in an Olympic contest when under the hammer and go on to win the gold?

Comment

I can't decide between Daley Thompson and Dwight Stones.

Comment

Mary Decker Slaney

Despite her oftentimes difficult personality, who can deny her perserverance to come back from debilitating injury after injury, as well as her supernatural talent that only surfaces in the human gene pool perhaps once every century?

Comment

Seb Coe. I remember being on vacation in France in 1981 when he ran 3:47.33 and the French national news cast led with that story and then proceeded to show the whole race, start to finish, on television.

Comment

The man with the name: Moses
                                Close runner up: Michael Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X