Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track and Field movie

I see that the "The Perfect Mile" (a movie about Bannister, Landy, and Santee) is coming out next year. I hope it's good.
    But if YOU were in a position--producer, director, movie mogul, or just an affluent T&F fan with cash to burn, which track and field athlete would you like to see a film about?

My first choice: Walter George--a sort of bigger than life character. You'd get a Victorian England, Holmesian, professional vs. amateur, pre-Chariots of Fire type of movie.

Other choices???

Re: Track and Field movie

Nice line of thought, here. I would shoot a film about the UK milers. Not just the great competition between Steve Ovett and Seb Coe, but the fact that their stellar performances, depth, and head to head competition (including winning the "wrong" events at the Olympics), but the fact that poor Steve Cram had to follow them. I don't think he ever got full credit for his abilities, having to follow the other two so closely.

All in all, this was an exciting time to be a fan of the middle distances.

Comment

Spare some sympathy for Peter Elliott one of my all time favourite athletes.

Comment

I'd love to see a movie on the fascinating life and short career of the other Elliott...Herb and his excentric coach/mentor, Percy Cerutty.

Comment

There's some info. on the scrpit of the film, and what it's about (they get the time wrong though! Bannister beat Landy in 3m:58.x)

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/ ... ilethe.htm

No trailer though...Oh well...

Comment

No, they have it right. They are referring to the winner of the race to beat 4minutes, not the Vancouver mile.

Comment

>No, they have it right. They are referring to the winner of the race to beat
              >4minutes, not the Vancouver mile.

Oh OK.
              I thought they were referring to the Vancouver mile...

Comment

Re: Track and Field movieCOMING SOON

SEX and the single SATCH, OR GETTING CLOSER TO BROTHER WILTS RECORD EVERY DAY

Comment

Rono.

Comment

Suzy Favor remakes Personal Best

Comment

what about a remake of the "The Loneliest Runner" aka The Bedwetter with Justin Timberlake as the bedwetting marathoner (later played by Michael LAndon) and costarring Britney Spears.

Comment

Last night (19 Dec 2003) Turner Classic Movies showed on TV the 1938 "Yank at Oxford" movie. Two items of note:

1. Runners in the 440 yard dash breaking quckly toward the curb in the manner of a horse race (no lanes) from a start about midway on the home straightaway. That brought memories of my long-ago 440yd races; with no stagger(s) to make up, you knew your position very quickly

2. Races in England being run clockwise around the oval.

Comment

Brian Oldfield

Comment

Second choice after Walter George: Emil Zatopek. . . unprecendented 3 gold medals in Helsinki . . . wife wins too . . . unusual, controversial training methods . . . Colonel in Czech Army, lots of integrity, demoted/disgraced because of his beliefs/actions, eventually resurrected . . . and apparently, a very engaging personality--great raconteur. . . . aaaand he gave away one of his gold medals to another world record holder (who never won one). The recipient, of course, was . . . ?

Comment

Ron Clarke, of course. I agree that Zatopek's story is fascinating...

Comment

Working...
                              X