Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Career

My career spanned two decades, and parts of three. I am the only athlete to have held world records in distances from the 800 to the 10,000 meter runs. I once broke a U.S. record by 42 seconds. No one on this message board has yet named me their favorite athlete, and ESPN did not name me one of the 50 greatest North American athletes of the 20th Century.

Who am I?

Re: Amazing Career

Mary Slaney.

Comment

"No one on this message board has yet named me their favorite athlete"

Virtually everyone admired her competitive passion, but the above statement shouldn't suprise us either.

Comment

Mary Decker Slaney

Comment

>I am the only athlete to
          >have held world records in distances from the 800 to the 10,000 meter runs.

Surely you mean AMERICAN records....?

Comment

Decker-Slaney did have an amazing career. I know lots of people despise her. She could be nasty, selfish, act like a spoiled baby (I'm old enough to remember her as a cute teenager getting edged out in an international level indoor relay race and throwing the baton at the winner!) and she got caught up in pharmaceutical scandals. Still, she was astoundingly talented and resiliant and no one on earth wanted to win races more than she did... and she is as good a conversation piece as ever competed in our sport! She continues to be a world-class icon for argumentation!!!

Comment

I took my 8-year daughter to the Mobil meet in Fairfax, Va, one winter day, and both she and JJK came over and gave their victory flowers to my daughter. Been a big fan of both before and after.

Comment

Working...
              X