Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognise this poor dude....?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sportsinjuries/hpbimg/06.jpg

Now that's GOTTA hurt!! How can someone encounter such a severe injury through sprinting??

Re: Anyone recognise this poor dude....?

Auughh, sh*t. I had my share o' pulls, but that's max.. Nobody'll recognize him, but hey, we're with ya, pal...

Comment

Looks like he might actually be a jumper; if that's the case, he might have somehow landed awkwardly and broken his leg. Either way, a disturbing photo.

Comment

>Looks like he might actually be a jumper; if that's the case, he might have
        >somehow landed awkwardly and broken his leg. Either way, a disturbing photo.

Actually, you're right. It looks more like a triple jumper....

Comment

not sure but think thats OLD SATCH in dual meet with the Klan!

Comment

Yikes! I always had it in the back of my mind that this sort of thing might happen while I was triple jumping!

Comment

Is it Llewellen Stark?

Comment

Yes, I do believe that is Llewellen Starks, former LSU long jumper. He broke his shin in 1992, but I'd never seen a picture of the event.

OUCH!!!!

Kurt Francis

Comment

>Yes, I do believe that is Llewellen Starks, former LSU long jumper. He broke
                  >his shin in 1992, but I'd never seen a picture of the
                  >event.

OUCH!!!!

Kurt Francis

That's a shame, because he would have only been 25 at the time, and still relatively new on the world stage. In 1991 he jumped 8.50m (which ranked him third in the world, behind Carl Lewis and Mike Powell) and was a big improvement on his best from previous years. Although his 1992 season was cut short, he still managed an 8.40m jump early on in the year.

Anyone else know what happened after this? Did he ever attempt a comeback...??

Comment

>Is it Llewellen Stark?

I won't even go look at the pic if it is him because it is so sickening.

Comment

Yes it is Starks. That was in NYC. He did make a come back after a few years of rehab I believe. Had moderate success jumping over 8 meters, but never got back to the level he was at. I seem to recall the break was so bad, he got an infection from the sand that got into the opened flesh. Greusome indeed!

Comment

Excerpt From Maxim Online

Oh, Snap!

Long jumper Llewellyn Starks pulled a real boner.

Maxim, September 1999

The picture shows what happens when bones shatter. Llewellyn Starks, the fourth-ranked long jumper in the world, was competing at the 1992 New York Games. He started his third attempt normally and hit the takeoff board at 25 mph. But when he planted, his right foot was pointed slightly outward, rotating his lower leg a bit. As he pushed off, Starks heard a small pop. Everyone else at the meet heard what sounded like a gunshot. By the time he had crashed into the landing pit, his right leg was a virtual pretzel. The tension had snapped both his tibia and his fibula in half, and jagged shards of the shinbone had pierced the skin of his lower leg. It took two hours of surgery and four stainless steel rods to repair the damage, which a coach compared to the results of stepping on a land mine. Six months after his catastrophic injury, Starks began intensive rehabilitation. Despite another fracture, he was back jumping competetively by 1994. Sadly, he never managed to regain his championship form, and in 1996 he went into coaching. Hope he told the kids to drink more milk.

Comment

>Hope he told the kids to drink more milk.

That is what people were saying about Billy when he seemed to break his leg for almost no reason.

Comment

>>Is it Llewellen Stark?

I won't even go look at the pic if it is him because
                            >it is so sickening.

Ok I looked. There is film of this that is a lot worse. The leg just flapping around.

Comment

Know where I can find the film?

Comment

Working...
                              X