Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone recognise this poor dude....?

>Know where I can find the film?

I bet George Matthews has a copy of it. He has everything!!!

I don't think I'd want to see the video of it, though. The picture I can handle.... but the video......!!

Comment

>The picture I can handle.... but the video......!!

That's why I was hesitant to look at the pic. Talk about an "agony of defeat" cut. It makes the old clip of that poor ski-jumper on ABC's WW of S look tame.

Comment

A couple of years ago, I suffered a somewhat similar injury while training for the long jump. In my case, the unusual bend occurred at the knee; it bent sideways rather than backward. My heart goes out to this guy, and others who have gone through these "Joe Theismann" experiences.

Comment

My heart goes out to this guy, and others who
          >have gone through these "Joe Theismann" experiences.

Namath might be a better comparison.

Comment

No, I'd say Theisman is the right comparison. The break in the picture actually looks extremely similar to what happened to Theisman: the leg bends below the knee where it isn't supposed to bend.

Comment

As I have much, MUCH, tv coverage on video from the last 17 years, I seem to recall that Starks had a definitive habit of dropping excessively (my emphasis) down on his penultimate step (left foot), then veering right-ward onto his take-off leg (right foot). The man had amazing jumping ability, but not efficient take-off mechanics. His methodology resulted (my analysis only) in excessive braking forces imparted to his take-off leg. I guess this particular jump was just one too many travelling 20+mph down the runway. It really was a shame. I have video of him jumping 24+ at a meet several years later. It might have been at the same New York Games in '94 or '95.

Sad end to a promising career.

Kurt

Comment

I saw Floreals carrer ending injury but this is far worse.

Comment

Oh, my God!

I wished that I never had to see that again. I was there, sitting right in the adjacent bleachers (the pit is on the north end of the stadium). I saw him go down the runway, and heard a "ripping sound" that I never before heard in my life (and never want to hear again). It was a good 30-40 minutes before he was taken off the field. I don't know if it was the board or his takeoff technique, but I do know that 1) the takeoff board was replaced; and 2) the jumper next in line was Carl Lewis. I think Lewis passed the rest of the way.

Comment

>I was there, sitting right in the adjacent bleachers (the pit is on the north end of the
                    >stadium).<

The pit was at the south end of the stadium. The runway was on the west side and it ran from north to south. I was there, too.

Comment

More gruesome injuries...

Saw a brit PV-er completely rupture his achilles on take-off, his foot was flopping around in mid air. Playing rugby and a guy's patella tendon tore completely resulting in his kneecap being pulled up into his quad area. Doing weights with a guy. He didn't place his foot properly on the step-up bench so it tipped back. The bar came flying over his head as he was bent forward and blood splattered everywhere. Thought he'd cut the back of his head but couldn't find anything...then noticed his fingernail and tip of finger laying on the floor...

Comment

The fact that Stark jumped (and fairly well) after this is a testament to his tenacity. The comeback from an injury like this - both physical and mental - is a nice finish to an otherwise sad story. He probably makes a great coach - can't bitch to him about aches and pains.....

Comment

He probably makes a great coach -
                          >can't bitch to him about aches and pains.....

http://www.vectorsportsmgmt.com/inside_ ... tarks.html

http://www.vectorsportsmgmt.com/trackan ... oster.html

Comment

"I seem to recall that Starks had a definitive habit of dropping excessively (my emphasis) down on his penultimate step (left foot), then veering right-ward onto his take-off leg (right foot)."

I went to the Level I USATF Coachig Course at University of Florida last year and what you describe here IS what they were saying to do. I've coached the jumps for over 20 years now and I had never heard of the veer AND settle penultimate step technique before. This sets up the correct mechanics for maxing V ht and H speed.

Comment

>http://members.lycos.co.uk/sportsinjuries/hpbimg/06.jpg

Now that's GOTTA
                              >hurt!! How can someone encounter such a severe injury through sprinting??

Jon, you're a monster, that's the worst link i've ever seen, all those pics will prevent me to go to the stadium today!

Comment

Tafnut:

I've also attended and been certified as a level one coach. It doesn't mean much.

As a mechanical engineer with training in biomechanics, and as someone who has film of many of the big jumps over the last 20 years, I am fully convinced that what is being taught IS NOT the best method for attaining maximum vertical height while keeping a reduction of horizontal speed to a minimum.

I don't have time right now to go into this in detail, but I'll see if I can go into this more in detail a little later. Aside from the fact that one decreases their horizontal speed by dipping down (and braking) on the penultimate stride, their is nothing significantly wrong with the technique. It is, however, not the most efficient. Everyone is certainly entitled to believe whatever methodology they want to believe, but I look to physics for the best answers.

Kurt Francis

Comment

Working...
                                X