Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old High School Records

It should also be noted that Bob Beamon's mark of 29 foot 2 and a half inches stood for a long time for a T & F record, and was considered insurmountable by many.

Bijan

Comment

It seems clear that the LJ is the t&f event that is most resistant to "innovation" or technical progress. There have been no dramatic stylistic innovations in it at all (obviously nothing remotely comparable to the flop in the HJ), and of course no technical innovations (nothing like the fiberglass pole in PV, etc.). It is remarkable that Jesse Owens would still be a good, national-class long jumper today, nearly 70 years later.

(Back in the 1970s, as I recall, there was some experimentation with a flip style long jump, but this was quickly banned as unsafe by the IAAF.)

Comment

LJ record at my school ( Duke ) is 48 years old. )

Comment

Long Jump record at Penn is from the late 1970's, but #2 is from 1931. #8 is from 1924.

Comment

OK, T&F officianados, a little trivia on the LJ. What famous athlete of the '70's set his PR in the LJ with the flip-style technique. Hint: his PR with the flip was 24'. This should give you a pretty good idea as to who it was.

Kurt

Comment

>LJ record at my school ( Duke ) is 48 years old. )

JOEL SHANKLE/

Comment

>>LJ record at my school ( Duke ) is 48 years old. )

JOEL SHANKLE/

Was not posting that as a question, but that indeed is who it was, winning Duke's ONLY indiv. outdoor NCAA title ever . 24' 8".

Comment

Bruce Jenner flipped and then they banned it.

Comment

"It should also be noted that Bob Beamon's mark of 29 foot 2 and a half inches stood for a long time for a T & F record, and was considered insurmountable by many."

It's also still the Olympic record and looks set to last 100 years.

Comment

Tafnut....U R THE WINNER!!!!

Yes, Bruce did flip 24' prior to the ban. Makes you wonder how far he would've jumped if they hadn't banned it.

I saw a teammate of mine actually do this accidentally in high school. I don't recall if the officials ruled it a foul, but it was truly a sight to see. He simply got over-rotated on take-off and just kept going

Kurt

Comment

The broad jump does seem to stand out. Silvio Cator's 26-1/4 (7.92), a world record in 1928, is still the Haitian national record.

Comment

Obviously, Cleveland East Tech's LJ record is still 24' 11 1/4" from 1933. The other best team in Ohio at the time, Toledo's Scott HS, has a LJ school record from 1936 (23' 8 3/4"). Scott's school record board is filled with outright exaggerations...except for the LJ, where an inferior mark is listed!

Glenville (Ted Ginn's school) has a HJ record from 1966. 7' 1" was pretty darn good in the pre-flop days.

When my teammates won the '89 Ohio title, our top sprinter finally broke a 43-year-old school record (21.7 for 220y). He beat a freshman named Chris Nelloms while doing it--the last HS 200m race Nelloms ever lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                            On the subject of records, I found that many, MANY, so-called records are just that.
                            I totally agree as I witnessed such a record. In the early 70's there was a talented sprinter from South Bend, Indiana Washington who ran at a LaPorte, IN meet. At the time LaPorte used students to help time. Consequently, when races started at the other end of the track you could hear a chous of clicks as stop watches were started at the finish line. This sprinter was given a South Bend area all time 100y record of 9.4. Actually he ran a 9.8 which he did several times during the remainder of the season but never threatened 9.4. This 9.4 remained the 100y area record until HS's went to meters a few years later.
                            I'm sure this is not a unique story as many of those old HS records probably happened in the same type of circumstances with unqualified timers. Although a few may actually have happened because of official's lies.

Comment

Our city championship lists the meet record as 10.3. While the timing was not suspect (he went on to be a MAC champion at EMU), the wind was probably +9.0 or greater (20 mph). Then there's the 1600m record, which is slower than the best time made at 1 mile. You know you're not working with the brightest of people when their eyes begin to glaze over while you explain that a mile is actually further than 1600 meters, so the old record should stand, and they come back with "But it's not 1600 meters". Arrrgh!

Comment

Mighty Favog:

Chris Nelloms was a JUNIOR @ the 1989 State Championships, not a freshmen. Remember, Chris (who now resides in a correctional facility about 10 miles from me til 2039) was the 1990 Nat. HS Athlete of the Year by T&FN as a senior.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                X