Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurt Francis
    Chris (who now resides in a correctional facility about 10 miles from me til 2039)
    :cry: It's sad enough to see ANYONE go so wrong as to have to sit in a prison for that long, but to see a guy with so much going for him - a guy who had a real opportunity to succeed and be a productive member of society - breaks our hearts.

Comment

It is sad, tafnut. But unfortunately he wasn't the first talented track athlete to go astray, and I very much doubt that he'll be the last. In this respect, very talented athletes are no different from the rest of us.

Comment

It is sad; however, he was convicted of raping his own daughter repeatedly when she was between the ages of 8-11. There is an earlier thread on this website about the situation. He deserves his punishment.

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis
          Mighty Favog:

Chris Nelloms was a JUNIOR @ the 1989 State Championships, not a freshmen. Remember, Chris (who now resides in a correctional facility about 10 miles from me til 2039) was the 1990 Nat. HS Athlete of the Year by T&FN as a senior.

Kurt
          Sorry, wrong year. 1987. I graduated in 1989. Alzheimer's is a terrible thing.

Comment

Alzheimer's!!! You're younger than I am! Eikes!!!

Comment

Silvio Cator is still the Haiti NR holder in the LJ with 7.93/26'0 1/2" - from 1928 - may last longer as a NR than O'Connor's Irish record

Comment

Originally posted by rhymans
                Silvio Cator is still the Haiti NR holder in the LJ with 7.93/26'0 1/2" - from 1928 - may last longer as a NR than O'Connor's Irish record
                This was mentioned at the top of the page.

There was another thread about oldest National records that sprung from Peter Norman's passing in Oct 2006:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=22555

Comment

Oldest NH high school state records

Girls 200 Meter Dash
                  State: S 24.44 1971

Boys Triple Jump
                  State: S 47-05 1982

Comment

The Ohio HS record for the 3-man long jump "relay" was set in 1951 and still stands. At least around here, most schools compete in this event at least once a year. The record is 70'; one of the team members was Bill Hairston, who world-ranked #9 that year.

The real stat-heads here might point out that Hairston's portion of that record, 24' 8 1/2", was determined to be wind-aided...which throws some doubt on the other marks as well. But on the other hand, I've never seen any other 3-man team totals marked as wind-aided.

#2 on the Ohio list in the event is 69' 6 1/2"...from 1959.

A friend who'd taken over coaching at a school which now truly fits the term "ghetto" (in its modern American meaning) asked me to help come up with their school records. In most events it was pretty easy, as they had been the dominant local power through the 70s. Alumni include Mel Walker (former world indoor HJ record holder) and Bill Taraschke (this year's D-III nationals meet director). All the records were fairly easy to determine save one: the 3200m/2-mile. I figured it couldn't be any faster than 10:30 or so, as they hadn't been any good at it even when it had been a championship program.

They'd once had a great distance runner, who broke the Ohio mile record as a sophomore with 4:15.3 in 1966. But back then if you ran the 2-mile it was all you were allowed to run, and so their stud had never run it. But paging through the state XC meet program once, I saw his name listed as winning the championship in 9:43.7...and I figured that deserved to be listed as the school record for 3200 meters.

Comment

Keith Burton at Eastern Kentucky

Did anyone know or compete against him? He jumped 24'11" for them in '80, and had been a h.s. teammate of mine. In D.C., he was pubiic school LJ champ.

Comment

I don't have one as far back as 1930, but I have a distant relative in my hometown (Rock Island, Il) that still owns our HS record.

24-4, Jim Holland, Rock Island (H.S.), 1942
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

An individual High School's records can sometimes be very inaccurate. After 48 years, I recently e mailed my old high school, asking for a list of the current school records. The AD kicked me over to the coach, and he then very graciously sent the current listing to me. Only trouble was, there were 3 events listed where school records made in 1959 and 1961 were nowhere to be seen ! And this was not my faulty memory, I had newspaper clippings to prove it. Also, AT versus manual and metric versus yards were not an issue either. I sent the coach a very nice and diplomatic reply, but the silence has been deafening.

Comment

I continually find that if something happened that can't be found in the internet it's like the tree that fell with no one around to hear it.

The concept of research has changed dramatically, and while I don't understand all the tools that today's college students have, they don't understand many of mine, either.

Microfilm? Newspapers--on paper? Archives? Telephone directories. Not part of the modern lexicon.

Comment

I've got results of my town's city track championships going back to 1917. I always get asked where I found them, and I reply "'morgue' used to have two meanings--one for people, one for newspapers."

Comment

They'd once had a great distance runner, who broke the Ohio mile record as a sophomore with 4:15.3 in 1966. But back then if you ran the 2-mile it was all you were allowed to run, and so their stud had never run it. But paging through the state XC meet program once, I saw his name listed as winning the championship in 9:43.7...and I figured that deserved to be listed as the school record for 3200 meters.[/quote]

Wes Brock?

Comment

Working...
                                X